Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows 7 Device Stage Works: The Basics Are There

It's been a few years since I've connected a digital camera directly to one of my computers - I always pull the memory card out and connect it to a memory card reader instead. Windows 7 brings with it Device Stage, which allows for enhanced functionality when a device is connected. With Windows 7 not quite out yet, the number of fully-implemented Device Stages isn't very large, but even without a fully customized Device Stage there's some cool functionality offered up for most devices that you connect.

When I connected an el-cheapo $99 Kodak EasyShare M1093 IS camera (I snagged it on one of Dell's Day of Deals), a couple of things happened. First, the generic Device Stage window came up (shown above). It told me the battery life on the camera, and the remaining storage required. The generic functions included being able to import the pictures/videos, and to browse the files directly on the camera.

The Windows 7 jump list (accessible via a right-click) gives me the same options as the full Device Stage, and hovering over the taskbar icon gives quick access to the battery life and one-click access to the memory card (shown above). This makes it much easier to interact with your connected device, and I hope to see manufacturers really embrace Device Stage moving forward.