Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Evernote and Dial2Do - Two Of My Favorite Apps

Have you used either of these? I started a couple of months ago and now next to an Internet browser, they are my most used apps. For those who haven't used Evernote, it's a note taking app that's available for a large variety of systems. There's a version for Windows, Windows Mobile, Mac, Iphone, Blackberry, and a web based version. If you get creative, you can even run Evernote on Ubuntu. Each of these versions stay synced all the time so you have your notes wherever you go. It supports web clipping, voice notes, photos, and all your notes are stored in self created notebooks. See a recipe you want on the web? Clip it and store it in an Evernote notebook.

I've been using Evernote for online receipts, projects, lesson planning, web clippings of future purchases, and other various articles. I also use it as a place to store scanned images. I use the mobile version and the camera on my mobile device to take pictures of notes, copies of rebates, whiteboards, store products, and anything else I may want a photo reminder of. After each sync, your notes are on all your devices. You also get your own Evernote email address.

This is where Dial2Do comes in. Any email you send to your Evernote email address becomes a note. Dial2Do allows you to send voice email messages that end up as text messages in your recipient's email inbox. You can have up to 100 contacts in Dial2Do and Evernote can be one of them. So I dial up Dial2Do and leave a voice message that ends up as a text note in my Evernote account. Very cool. Both services are free though Evernote also provides a premium account which is the one I have. Click on either logo to go to their site.

Let us know if you use these services and how you like them. While your at it, what are some apps that you use that the rest of us might be interested in?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
BevHoward
Intellectual

I subscribed to evernote shortly after it was introduced and, while I think the concept is great, seems that every time I start to use it the question of the security of storing sensitive information comes up.

For years I have been maintaining a series of text files holding a surprising amount of information important to my life, but every time I review storing any of it on evernote, if security is not a factor, it seems that there is no good reason to store that info on the internet.

I appreciate this post as it will prompt me to take another look. The email option has appeal, but it essentially does what a dedicated email account that I have setup specifically for note/info transfers between mobile and non mobile platforms.

Thanks,
Beverly Howard

Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Pete Paxton

Evernote probably isn't suited for everyone but for me it's perfect. Right now I have 20 notes in there including business cards, schedules, receipts, todo's, and general notes from meetings I attend. I love how it syncs everywhere. Doesn't matter if I'm at home, office, friend's house, or the car, all my notes are always with me. I also downloaded the portable version and keep it on a usb stick on my keychain. I can use it on any windows based computer. I have the subscription version which is supposed to offer more security. If you do a google search for either "Ron's evernote tips", or "ways to use evernote" you'll come up with some very creative ways people have used it. That's where I got a bunch of ideas.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM
BevHoward
Intellectual

>> "Ron's evernote tips", or "ways to use evernote" <<

Thanks... will do,
Beverly Howard

Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

The biggest short coming to me is the lack of offline access, unless they've added it and I missed it. To me the subway is a prime spot for writing or reviewing notes.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Pete Paxton

If you create them on your laptop, and that's what you use on the subway, just sync when you can. I know on the iphone, there's a "favorites" folder that keeps the notes directly on the device. If you've recently synced, you should be able to access your notes on your laptop and your favorites on your device.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 AM
jdmichal
Intellectual

I just use MyNote for note taking. No clouding or anything... Just a nice interface for writing out notes for myself. I use it very much as a short-term thing. Shopping lists, todo lists, those 6-digit plane ticket IDs; things I'll need within the next couple days.

http://mylostblog.altervista.org/en/...ynote-2-1-0-0/

Old 10-14-2009, 04:45 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Paxton View Post
If you create them on your laptop, and that's what you use on the subway, just sync when you can. I know on the iphone, there's a "favorites" folder that keeps the notes directly on the device. If you've recently synced, you should be able to access your notes on your laptop and your favorites on your device.
I'm not carrying a laptop on the subway. I use my smartphone. I would love a cloud sync solution but Evernote is not it. I just wish Exchange Active Sync supported notes. That would solve my issue.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Pete Paxton

I haven't tried Evernote on a WM smartphone. Like I mentioned, I can tag favorites that permanently stay on my iphone. That way I don't need to be connected to have access. I can also create new notes and then sync them the next time I get the chance. Sounds like this solution doesn't work for you.

Last edited by Pete Paxton; 10-14-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 AM
SassKwatch
Philosopher

I'm a big fan of OneNote on the desk/laptop. And was thrilled to discover a mobile version of it included in the package. Thrilled until I installed it on the Tilt, that is. Talk about weak.....I think the native WM Notes app is more robust than mobile OneNote.

Once again MS' complacency to the mobile platform just baffles the heck out of me. There are times I'd all but swear the only reason they ever got involved in the mobile biz was to shred Palm. Since that was all but accomplished, it's been one big corporate ho-hum, IMO.

Might have to take a look at the Evernote. Last time I looked (right around the time Office 7 had been released), the desktop version of it didn't *seem* quite as nifty as OneNote.

-= Sass =-