Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default HD2, HTC Leo, Launches on O2 on October 12

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...k-october-12th/

"A trusted tipster with a proven past just gave us the launch day scoop on the hotly anticipated HTC Leo. A Windows Mobile 6.5 handset we recently spied with HD2 branding and a 4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen display with 800x480 resolution -- a pixel density that should give plenty of room for finger-friendly TouchFlo 3D navigation"

Looks like the Leo, or the HD2, or whatever it wants to call itself, may be showing up in the UK as early as October 12. Those on O2 may want to be aware if they're interested in replacing an aging device. Or just want another one to play with!

UPDATE: And MAN is that thing fast! Engadget reported yesterday that benchmarks are showing it to have about a 300% increase in raw CPU speed over the original HTC Touch HD!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

It sounds like a great device. Too bad those of us in the US probably won't get to enjoy 3G speed on the go, which makes it a nonstarter, at least for me. I just wish HTC saw the value of the high end market in the US. I guess they figure since people can buy a 32 GB iPhone at a subsidized price, that these devices can't compete unless they are subsidized as well.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM
efjay
Theorist

But they cant compete if they are not subsidised. Unlocked the HD2 has been priced at 600 Euro's, when converted to $US how many people will buy at that price?

Take away the typical PPCT/Xda/custom rom flashing user and there is virtually no "high end" market in the US, everybody seemingly wants a $99 phone. The Samsung Instinct HD was priced at $249 and it was called too expensive, T-Mobile and Sprint's TP2's went for $350 and they were slammed for their price, when Verizon priced their's at $199 after rebate they were hailed and there are now claims that they are sold out of their TP2. Without a carrier subsidy the HD2 will undoubtedly have abysmal sales which will only be more fodder for the "WM is dead" crowd.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM
crazyman
Neophyte

I've just spoken to O2, they confirmed that I'll be able to order the HTC Touch HD2 from the 19th October.......Can't wait, I've been eyeing this phone for ages ever since I found the spec on pdadb.net

Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Take away the typical PPCT/Xda/custom rom flashing user and there is virtually no "high end" market in the US, everybody seemingly wants a $99 phone. The Samsung Instinct HD was priced at $249 and it was called too expensive, T-Mobile and Sprint's TP2's went for $350 and they were slammed for their price, when Verizon priced their's at $199 after rebate they were hailed and there are now claims that they are sold out of their TP2. Without a carrier subsidy the HD2 will undoubtedly have abysmal sales which will only be more fodder for the "WM is dead" crowd.
I had hoped that the move toward feature phones vs. dumb phones would change that - people would understand the value in those features and pay more. However carriers didn't keep the prices high for long - they dropped them and now people expect gold for the price of copper. In the US atleast!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
iclark
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
I had hoped that the move toward feature phones vs. dumb phones would change that - people would understand the value in those features and pay more. However carriers didn't keep the prices high for long - they dropped them and now people expect gold for the price of copper. In the US atleast!
This is not limited to the phone market. We distribute our products globally except the USA market because you can not make any money due to "stupid" pricing concepts.

US pricing @ retail is typically what other countries wholesle the same product at. No wonder the US is in so much trouble economically.

Carriers can offer susidies because of back end revenue streams. Retailers without trailing income can not (ie Phone shops, Electronic stores) .

What worries me is that this model is not sustainable economically. After a recent trip to the USA for trade show I am very concerned the US market is in a lot more trouble than has been disclosed to date.

This is just making us want to stay away from any USA based business for quiet a while. Sounds like this will mean that high end US phone users will also miss out unless they import from outside the US. BTW...HTC Snap with 3G = "Living the dream" best phone I have ever owned.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

The Xperia X1 was basically dead in the US, due to not having a carrier subsidy. I would probably have gotten one otherwise. (Worked out well for me in the end!)

Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Fellwalker
Pupil
Default But it is cheaper to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
But they cant compete if they are not subsidised. Unlocked the HD2 has been priced at 600 Euro's, when converted to $US how many people will buy at that price?

So borrow! Perhaps �500 to buy.
An iPhone is Free on O2 with a �73.41 contract for 24 months = �1761.84.
So long as you can get away with any contract of less than �52 pm, you are quids in.
And it is YOUR phone.
Also it is unlocked and unbranded, so you can move suppliers, and you don't get the annoying restrictions that the service provider makes.
HTC HD2.Finally ditched HP hx4700 and miss its excellent screen, which was the proper shape, and its accuracy with a stylus.Sad Psion never developed its 5 series.Fed up that TomTom don't support HD2.