Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Intel Unveils Light Peak 10Gbps Optical Interconnect for Mobile Devices

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/23/...ect-for-mobile/

"USB 3.0 might be one of the big stories here at IDF, but Intel just showed off a glimpse of the future: Light Peak, an optical interconnect for mobile devices that can run as fast as 10Gbps. That's fast enough to do everything from storage to displays to networking, and it can maintain those speeds over 100-meter runs, which is pretty astounding. Intel says the idea is to drastically reduce the number of connectors on mobile devices, which should allow them to get even smaller -- but the demo was on a huge Frankenrig, so don't expect to see Light Peak devices shipping any time soon."

What I don't like about stories like this is that this technology isn't here now. Wouldn't it be cool to run at 10Gbps? I'd love it. Super fast internet and internet gaming right on your mobile device. Not to mention ultra clear video conferencing. For those of you who think that technology is changing to rapidly, I'm not one of those. I want the future and I want it now. After seeing the Microsoft Courier Tablet demo, hearing that MS has a slew of new devices coming soon, and now super fast Light Peak transfer rates, How about you? Are you ready for this stuff now or do you think it's evolving to rapidly?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Fritzly
Sage

It is moving fast everywhere but in the US; in Europe DSL speed of 10, 20, 25 Mbps are widely available for home users at half of we pay here for a mere 6Mbps.

I am not even venture to speak about Korea and Japan.....

Internet is an infrastructure like road, bridges etc. and regretfully they are all crumbling here.

Either way this Country catch up very fast or it will fall faster and faster.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus

You're right, my nephew lives in Osaka Japan and when he comes to the states he feels like he's on dial up. Pretty sad.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
and it can maintain those speeds over 100-meter runs

Not too exciting from my point of view. This is evidently over fiber. It seems to mean you can get stuff in and out of a mobile device with a single little connector, not that you will be able to get Gigabits while mobile. Of course, I'm sure there will be public Light Peak jacks every 50 ft, right next to the public electric car plug-ins.