Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Pinch Me - Microsoft To Issue Own-Brand Phones?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...-2010-with-two/

"Weekend gossip that has Microsoft and Sharp "unleashing" a pair of slider phones codenamed "Turtle" and "Pure" in January (likely at CES). JoFo thinks that it's possible that the rumored handsets could be announced in January, but any phone from Microsoft's Pink skunkworks project wouldn't launch until Windows Mobile 7 was ready, an OS not expected to ship on consumer devices until the end of 2010."

We have two reports from Engadget Mobile that Project Pink (here and here), which involves Microsoft's purchase of Danger (the makers of the Sidekick), is finally seeing some results. At this stage, virtually nothing is known about what specs or even which OS these devices will run, though I don't see Microsoft muddying their mobile strategy further by coming up with another ecosystem beyond Windows Mobile (or alternatively Zune). If WM7 is the target OS, that means these first two prototypes won't be on the market for another year, but given that these are relatively uncharted waters for Microsoft I'm not too surprised at the pace of development. I'm also thinking that with the ever tighter integration between software, hardware and services that the smartphone competitive space is moving towards, Microsoft is taking their time to get it right.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
BBF
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein View Post
If WM7 is the target OS, that means these first two prototypes won't be on the market for another year,
That's only if you assume that Microsoft will use the same version of Windows Phone 7 they deliver to the OEM's Considering the fact that the Zune HD contains the core of what will be used in WP7 already, that also means that the "pink" phones can also use WP7 technology before WP7's official release date.

Yep, that would require that MS screws their Windows Mobile OEM customers, but what else is new?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 PM
MadSci
Ponderer
Default Note to Marketing...

uhhhh, isn't AT&T launching the HTC Diamond 2 this month, also known as the "Pure"?
Seems like an interesting choice of (code) names doesn't it

Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Fritzly
Sage

I saw the "pictures" of the two devices and I am not impressed; probably they will appeal younger segments of the population though.