Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default PocketInformant 9 Soft Launches Next Week

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Foru...=blog&blogid=1&

"PI 9 has been finished since September 10th. So why the long wait? Typically we start on the final stuff about 2-3 weeks before release where we do localizations, icons, docs, all the installer stuff, etc...We are now nearly done. Localizations and docs are the two things not done, but we will be SOFT-launching PI 9 with what localization we DO have and docs next week (it would be end of week but I'm going on vacation!)."

Keep an eye on the PocketInformant site to get the latest when it soft launches. I am not sure if the on-device update mechanism will recognize the update at that time or if it will only see the new version when it fully launches. It looks like a trial version is already available but you may not be able to register/upgrade to a licensed version just yet.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Thanks for the heads-up, Ed. I didn't even realize the Web IS had a twitter account and was posting regularly or I would have been following this more closely. Looks like this won't be "officially" out until the 28th or so, but will be available as a trial before that. No licenses will be available until after the official release as well.

Still if this can deliver a more finger-friendly experience, that would be pretty cool. That's something hard to get right on WM devices right now.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Any idea about the changes from V.8? I could not find any reference about improvements and changes from the previous version.
A more finger friendly approach would be very welcome indeed........ and maybe overdue too.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

Any idea about the changes from V.8?

From the WebIS site:
"PI9 has the following new major features:

1) 6.5 support
2) 6.5 Gesture support throughout the app
3) Finger usability in a lot of places
4) GTD support within Tasks
5) Full PNG support for icons which means PI works and looks a lot better with those kinds

There are actually quite a few other changes, but those are the top 5 and #3 really says a lot. "

From a personal perspective - lacking WinMo 6.5 & actually DISLIKING "Finger usability" - these "Top 5" items don't provide much of an incentive to upgrade, but know that other users will certainly feel otherwise.

PI has been one of my mainstay apps since moving to the WinMo platform over 5 years ago (gee, it seems LONGER than that!), but, unless there are some compelling changes farther down the list, MIGHT end up passing on this upgrade....

Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
mirskym
Neophyte

Pocket Informant 8 has a bug with WM6.5 that it doesn't show recurring appointments. So i look forward to the upgrade!