Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default January-Bound XPERIA X2 to Cost An Arm and Leg?

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=187341

When Sony Ericsson unveiled the XPERIA X2 earlier this month, the company seemed pretty certain that it would arrive sometime in the fourth quarter. Expansys UK, on the other hand, has a different idea. It's confidently tagged the X2 with a release date of January 11, 2010, at £604.99, which translates to a whopping $1000 on the other side of the pond. Sure enough, goods are priced a little differently in the UK, but if you consider that the Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 are priced at £374.99 and £489.99 respectively, the X2's asking price is a fair bit to munch on. Now, we're not quite sure if Sony Ericsson's pricing strategy is set in stone, but either way, we wish the folks there all the best in getting this beast in the hands of consumers. Surely they can do better with it than they did with the X1, right? Right?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Stinger
Thinker

Expansys are infamous for setting ridiculously high pre-order prices.

Once it's released, I'm sure it'll drop down to a competitive (~�500) price.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

I wouldn't pay $500 USD. That's just too much money for anything with less than 160GB of memory and windows 7. If they want my money then it would need to be my primary laptop that I can connect to a monitor and full sized keyboard AND is a phone to boot.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
I wouldn't pay $500 USD.
Bear in mind that these prices are for unlocked devices. If you were to get a similar smartphone from a US carrier, you'd probably be expecting to pay at least a couple hundred and get locked into a two-year contract. So, while the initial cost for an unlocked device is much higher, the end result is the same or possibly cheaper, depending on how much you'd otherwise pay per month on a contract and how much you value the notion of an unlocked device.