Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Software

Old 09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default 802.11n is FINALLY Official

http://siliconrepublic.com/news/art...n-wifi-standard

"After six years, almost a dozen drafts, and two years of products available under Wi-Fi Alliance certification, IEEE approved the 802.11n wireless standard. 802.1n is also more energy efficient and can make for speedier WiFi on handheld devices without burning through as much battery power."

Got a nice chuckle out of this.  I can recall teaching a class on wireless back in 2003 and having a slide that said "n" was coming soon.  Given how long the pre "n" products were being sold, I expect we will be seeing pre "m" or whatever the next letter is in the series sometime soon.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Great! So now I can finally get some 'n' equipment. I didn't want to jump the gun, you know. (Kidding, of course.)

Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
CESkins
Theorist

Rob that comment had me LMAO. Seriously though, I wonder how many pre-N "upgradable" routers will actually see a firmware update to the new standard. I suspect many companies will just release new N-routers that confirm to the ratified N-standard. Guess it is time to pony up more $$$.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

ABOUT FRACKIN' TIME!!!!

I've bought five or six "N" routers over the years, and all have failed to be compatible with one device or another...so I've always gone back to my trust Linksys WRT54G. I really *want* the benefits of N, but have never been able to put up with the shoddy compatibility the N routers have given me. Here's hoping that changes...

Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Flynn Arrowstarr
Pupil

No kidding. I bought a laptop with an Intel Wireless "N" adapter built-in. However, I couldn't access the Wireless N on my Netgear router. Turns out the Intel Wireless N would only connect at N speeds when connecting to an Intel router supporting a specific Intel proprietary technology. I connect with it at G speeds right now, but I'll eventually get a Netgear USB dongle for it and bypass the built-in Intel card.

Flynn

Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

It's been a Long, LONG wait..........