Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Maximum PC's Trifeca of Dream Machines

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe...MC-R3A917316679

"Sometimes, you just have to keep things real. Last year, our Dream Machine was a paean to excess, a chrome-plated $17,000 wünder-rig. While we're still quite fond of that machine, this year we decided to take a different tack and see if we could build a more reasonably priced, but still lust-worthy Dream Machine. Well, actually, we built three of them. While the combined cost of these three machines is about half the price of last year's rig, we packed a lot of awesome into our relatively tight budgets. The lesson is simple: Dream Machine isn't about spending a ludicrous amount of cash on a PC, it's about getting the best rig you can for the money you spend. I think you'll agree that these three machines pack a ton of power and are all great values."

Instead of the usual over-the-top geeky madness that ends up with a computer well north of $20,000 USD, the crew over at Maximum PC has created three different machines, each aimed at a different budget. It's impressive how much performance you can get for not too much money. Their entry-level $690 machine boasts an overclocked three-core CPU running at 3.6 Ghz and an ATI 4870 graphics card. Not bad at all!