Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Bell Palm Treo Pro Unboxing and First Impressions

This is an unboxing and first impressions video of the Bell Palm Treo Pro. This Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional touch-screen phone is a CDMA phone offered by Bell Canada. The 2.5 inch screen is 320 x 320 in resolution, and the device has a full QWERTY keyboard. It has built-in 802.11 WiFi, a 2 megapixel camera, GPS, Bluetooth, and a microSD card slot. No, it's not a new device, but Microsoft Canada contacted me and asked if I'd like to look at one, and I said yes.

I had a bit of mud on my face with this video because the completely useless "spec" sheet that Bell Canada has on their site lacked any real detail, so I didn't realize the sync/charge port I was looking at was really a microUSB port - I've never had a device that uses that type of connector. Palm also did some voodoo with their USB wall charger - it outputs at 1 amp, but the Palm sync/charge cable connected to my Zune charger (which outputs at 1.5 amps) wouldn't pull a charge from it. So between the cable and the charger, the whole thing might as well be proprietary...the net effect is the same.

As for the device itself, I haven't used it much yet - I have to admit that after using Windows Mobile 6.1 standard devices for so long with the nice sliding panels interface, or HTC devices with TouchFlo 3D, going back to a stock Windows Mobile interface is kind of difficult. To paraphase Dr. Zira from Planet of the Apes, "It's just so damn ugly!". I might have to slap on a better user interface [Affiliate] before I start using it.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog. He wonders when he'll get to see a Windows Mobile 6.5 device in person.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:23 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Motorola miniUSB chargers, in conjunction with a miniUSB to microUSB adapter, will charge the Treo Pro.

The issue is to do with the input amperage of the charger. The output specs of Palm's charger are the same as any other charger I've seen, but the input amperage is 0.3A whereas the typical input amperage is 0.15A. Motorola chargers tend to be 0.2A input, which is enough for the Treo Pro, or at least the GSM version of it.

I know it doesn't make any sense, but if it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus View Post
The issue is to do with the input amperage of the charger. The output specs of Palm's charger are the same as any other charger I've seen, but the input amperage is 0.3A whereas the typical input amperage is 0.15A. Motorola chargers tend to be 0.2A input, which is enough for the Treo Pro, or at least the GSM version of it.
Ugg. Here I thought the only thing I had to worry about what the output power...now I have to worry about the input power as well? <sigh> I hate having to worry about having the right charger - the whole point of USB is supposed to be that it's simpler.