Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default A Walk Through Windows Mobile 6.5 RTM

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...os-demonstrated

"The INQUIRER has been told that the Windows Phone OS will arrive before Christmas, possibly around the same time as the Vole's public release of the Windows 7 operating system for PCs on October 22."

The Inquirer has what it calls an exclusive first video of the finalized version of Windows Mobile 6.5, which is great if it's confirmed - that means we're still on track for a holiday release for the latest iteration of Windows Mobile. Unfortunately, so many people are hitting the site that The Inquirer are having bandwidth problems. I'd love to comment on this, but I haven't been able to get a peek at the video after over 12 hours of trying, much less try embedding it here. So hit the link for an overview, and let me know what I'm missing!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Barry_Rau
Pupil
Thumbs up Nice

Very Nice,
They are showing it on a HTC Touch Diamond 2, I really like the TP D2.

Cheers
BR

Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
petvas
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas Send a message via Skype™ to petvas

I liked what I saw. I wish Microsoft would change their stupid upgrade policy. The whole upgrade model is wrong...

I own an HTC Touch HD and I won't be getting the upgrade unless I install a ROM from XDA Developers...

Back to the video though, the only thing that I didn't like was IE. How difficult is it to create a decent mobile browser?

I also see a clear trend towards capacitive touch screens. It is certainly good to have this option but I also like my stylus. Just because Steve Jobs doesn't like it, doesn't mean that we should all stop using one. I can think of many occasions where a stylus is more appropriate than our fingers. A Stylus also allows for more advanced options in applications. I hope we will keep seeing it...

Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
TOCA
Intellectual

We are NOT amused!

They now call it the Windows Phone, because Windows Mobile does not sound like Fruit Phone, the UI is also made to look and feel like the Fruit gizmo :-(

If I wanted to buy an Iphone I'd go and buy one of those, but I what I want is a Windows Mobile enabeled device, and I'm not ashamed to be seen using such a strange device :-)

OK, the majority of the crowd has been shouting for one handed operated device, and that's ok, but why does it have to look and feel like every thing else on the market? Why can't we have a choise?

It's like TV, I have 50 channels to choose from, but they are all showing the same stuff at the same time, at 6 PM there are news all over the place, and when some one famous does some thing, (s)he is on all 50 channels, even the commercial blocks are syncronised to show at the same time on all channels *GRRR*

We (the average consumers) are led to believe we have a choice and a say, but in reallity we have nothing, we can choose whe we want to be tied to (MS, Apple or Google), but the end ressult is going to be the same.

Let's have the standard WM UI back, with the possibillity to tweak and moddify it into our personal liking, personalizing is not just an other wall paper and an annoying ring tone.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

While I wouldn't go quite that far, I do find it odd that MS thinks that, in order to compete, it has to copy. The iPhone made the impact it did because it was an Apple product. After that, it did a few things that hadn't been done that way before (multi-touch for one). MS should do the same and innovate some new ways to do things that set WM devices apart.