Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default T-Mobile USA Announces HTC Touch Pro2 Coming August 12th

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...495&newsLang=en

"T-Mobile USA, Inc., and HTC Corp. today announced the upcoming availability of the HTC Touch Pro2TM, a powerful, stylish device with an intuitive touch screen and user interface that enables customers to simplify their communication and mobile Internet experience while staying connected, informed and in control of work and life. The device will be available in a mocha finish to T-Mobile customers beginning Aug. 12.

Enabled for T-Mobile's expanding high-speed 3G network and Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g), the HTC Touch Pro2 offers fast data delivery and an enhanced Web-browsing experience along with popular features such as built-in GPS and location-based services. Featuring a 3.6-inch color WVGA touchscreen that slides back and tilts up to reveal a full-QWERTY keyboard, the screen is perfectly positioned for reading and creating e-mail, browsing the Web, using applications, and playing videos and games. A 3.2 megapixel camera with auto focus also provides customers with an easy way to capture and share high-quality images and video as well as view that content on the crisp display."

Image courtesy of Engadget Mobile.

I've had a chance to use the Touch Pro2 over the past week, and I've got to say, this is one impressive device. T-Mobile is the first US-based carrier to release this uber-device, but they won't be the last. I'm not sure how I feel about the "mocha" colouring on this though. Any of you T-Mobile users plan on picking this up?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Nope; besides, as you correctly mentioned, the color, the device comes with the same processor used in the Touch Pro. Furthermore with WM 6.5 around the corner, or at least supposedly so, the device does not attract me at all. I will fly to Europe in September and buy the Toshiba TG01, unlocked of course.
Besides what was the reasoning behinf the color decision? I am not in marketing but it is horrendous.

Last edited by Fritzly; 07-29-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Besides what was the reasoning behind the color decision? I am not in marketing but it is horrendous.
Hey, it's only somewhat better than the 'mauve' version we saw speculated for AT&T...

Old 07-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Furthermore with WM 6.5 around the corner, or at least supposedly so, the device does not attract me at all.
Remember though that HTC has announced a free 6.5 upgrade for the Touch Pro2. It's not like they'll be releasing a fancy new phone when 6.5 comes out - they'll just refresh their current line up, at least in the short term.

Will the Toshiba TG01 have 3G frequencies in North America? If not, there's not much point IMO...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
bitbank
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to bitbank

If you're a T-mo customer, then this is an important device. T-mo has been slow to release 3G capable WinMo devices because they bought 3G spectrum that no other carrier uses, so they have to wait for custom devices from their ODMs. I picked up the Dash 3G and I'm happy with it, but I will definitely be getting the TP2 next month.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:15 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default T-Mobile Touch Pro2

I was with T-Mobile for 9 years. I waited for them to come out with an upgrade to my T-Mobile MDA. When they did, it was the G1 Android. I've never had a PDA longer than two years and I got tired of waiting.

I recently switched to US Cellular and the HTC Touch Pro and am loving it!

This model reminds me of the AT&T tilt that I was hungering for when I found out that it had been discontinued because of the cracked cases. Looks like this might be a future problem for T-Mobile.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

I'll be picking this up. Been waiting ever since I cracked the screen on my Wizard (Cingular 8125), and have since been borrowing Dave's Herald (TMobile Wing).

Honestly, I would have preferred a 1GHz tegra/snapdragon, capacitive multitouch, windows 7, video-calling phone. But I'm tired of delaying the purchase of a new phone for fear of what's coming ahead. Because there's always something coming that I'd rather have. When this comes out, it will be the best phone on the market for what I want, and I will enjoy using it for however long it lasts.

As a side note, anyone want to buy a Wizard with a broken screen?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbank View Post
If you're a T-mo customer, then this is an important device. T-mo has been slow to release 3G capable WinMo devices because they bought 3G spectrum that no other carrier uses, so they have to wait for custom devices from their ODMs. I picked up the Dash 3G and I'm happy with it, but I will definitely be getting the TP2 next month.
BTW, Jason and I were doing some research on another phone and have found that apparently T-Mobile uses a different frequency (1700 I think it is) for 3G from the other major GSM carriers (AT&T, etc.)

Soooo, just because you've got a 3G phone from T-Mobile doesn't guarantee it will work 3G under any other US provider. Although it might be OK for most of the rest of the world, since I believe MOST of them use 1700.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
BTW, Jason and I were doing some research on another phone and have found that apparently T-Mobile uses a different frequency (1700 I think it is) for 3G from the other major GSM carriers (AT&T, etc.)

Soooo, just because you've got a 3G phone from T-Mobile doesn't guarantee it will work 3G under any other US provider. Although it might be OK for most of the rest of the world, since I believe MOST of them use 1700.
Actually, the rest of the world does not use 1700. T-Mobile US 3G is unique to itself. You can however, use the quad-band EDGE everywhere.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Master Loon
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB View Post
Actually, the rest of the world does not use 1700. T-Mobile US 3G is unique to itself. You can however, use the quad-band EDGE everywhere.
True. I find edge in Italy to be pretty fast, compared to tmo at home. Plus 3g at home is where it matters the most. Currently have the G1, had the MDA and the Wing. This phone is welcomed. I like the G1, but there is something to be said about a solid, fast WM phone.