Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default SBSH GoNews 1.1 Syncs With Google Reader

http://www.sbsh.net/products/window...pc/gonews_touch

"SBSH Mobile Software released today a new update for its best selling news reader application, GoNews Touch for Windows Mobile Touch devices to version 1.1! Introducing the first advanced Google Reader syncing solution for complete and automatic syncing with your Google Reader account! Improved and optimized Auto-Updating capabilities, new gesture-navigation actions and much more!"

Good news if you're a Google Reader user. SBSH has added Google Reader sync to GoNews Touch 1.1. Just that itself makes this update worth its weight in gold, but SBSH hasn't stopped there. v1.1 includes more gestures, improved auto-updates, and usability tweaks for Windows Mobile 6.5. If you already own a copy of GoNews Touch, then v1.1 is a free update. To try or buy, head over to our affiliate software store.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
alese
Philosopher

Well I wanted something that would sync with Google Reader, but even though it looks nice this is not really for me.

For one I'm used to having only new articles on my Reader grouped under couple of labels.
Here there are no labels and I get a list of channels in my Google Reader account and that's it.
I can't even sort the channels, so that the ones with new articles would show on top or something, so after every sync you have to scroll down to see if there is something new - not at all the way I like it.
Adding to that quite slow sync, I have 17 feeds and it takes a lot of time to go through them even though there are only couple of new articles.

So nice interface and ability to read offline on my WM device, at least for me doesn't outweigh the experience I have with online reader.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 AM
amitregev
Intellectual

Hi alese

When configuring Google Reader syncing within GoNews Touch configuration you will also find an option to limit the update only to certain labels, in case you don't want all of your content to be downloaded to your Windows Mobile device

As for additional features and improvements - if you will post back with some more ideas and how would you like to see us implement more features related to Google Reader syncing that you believe will get things working better with upcoming updates please be sure to post back and we will make sure to take this in mind as we are now working on our upcoming update to version 1.2

Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitregev View Post
Hi alese

When configuring Google Reader syncing within GoNews Touch configuration you will also find an option to limit the update only to certain labels, in case you don't want all of your content to be downloaded to your Windows Mobile device

As for additional features and improvements - if you will post back with some more ideas and how would you like to see us implement more features related to Google Reader syncing that you believe will get things working better with upcoming updates please be sure to post back and we will make sure to take this in mind as we are now working on our upcoming update to version 1.2
Thank you for quick response.
I have seen the option for labels, but wasn't sure what it does, and as far as I see you can only choose one label, do a filter which is fine but not quite what I need.
As for additional features, well I'm a Google Reader user, so my expectations and desires are to get as close as possible to the experience of an online reader as I find it very nice to use, but possible offline capability and potentially greater speed/nicer interface in a dedicated reader are really appealing to me.

I know that some things can be a problem, but what I would like is:

- to have filtering/sorting options.
So that one could see only new (unread) news, sorted by (for instance) time/date, I don't need individual feeds displayed most of the time. I like to read through new articles only (regardless of the feed) in order as they "arrived" to my reader.

- if individual feeds have to be displayed/used then at least I would like the feeds with new articles to be sorted at the top and somehow marked (color, bold) - I don't like to scroll through all my feeds (and I don't think I have many of them) to find if there is a new article in one of them.

- possibility to have Google Reader labels, used as categories in the program, so I could select/switch between them.

- ability to sync individual category/label and/or ability to set auto sync options for each category/label individually would be also great.

- full screen viewing (at least of articles)

Well, you asked for some ideas... :-)
I'm not sure what could be implemented and if these are things that only appeal to me, but I would love something like that on my WM devices.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 PM
buzzard
Theorist

Is it possible to email an RSS feed story using the contacts list on the PPC on this version of GoNews? I don't have time in the morning to read all my feed stories so I read the updates, select the ones I want to read in detail, email them to my PC for reading later on. The current RSS reader opens the PPC's email and I type in a couple letters of my email address and hit send. Can this be done on GoNews?

One clarification, are you able to download the entire story on some but not all feeds? I think that's what Amit was posting above but I'm not sure. Is it up to the source as to whether or not the entire story can be downloaded? I've tried my local newspaper on various PPC RSS readers and all I get is the short story version so I'm not sure if it's them or the reader.

Since I haven't found a free Twitter program that will allow me to email Twitter messages (there may be a reader that does this, I don't know) I currently have my Twitter feeds set as an RSS feed on my RSS reader and email them as well. More and more tweets contain url's linked to stories online and I prefer to read these on my PC as well. For some reason all I can get is 20 tweets and haven't figured out how to increase the number picked up by the RSS feed.

Last edited by buzzard; 07-28-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM
amitregev
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Is it possible to email an RSS feed story using the contacts list on the PPC on this version of GoNews? I don't have time in the morning to read all my feed stories so I read the updates, select the ones I want to read in detail, email them to my PC for reading later on. The current RSS reader opens the PPC's email and I type in a couple letters of my email address and hit send. Can this be done on GoNews?

One clarification, are you able to download the entire story on some but not all feeds? I think that's what Amit was posting above but I'm not sure. Is it up to the source as to whether or not the entire story can be downloaded? I've tried my local newspaper on various PPC RSS readers and all I get is the short story version so I'm not sure if it's them or the reader.

Since I haven't found a free Twitter program that will allow me to email Twitter messages (there may be a reader that does this, I don't know) I currently have my Twitter feeds set as an RSS feed on my RSS reader and email them as well. More and more tweets contain url's linked to stories online and I prefer to read these on my PC as well. For some reason all I can get is 20 tweets and haven't figured out how to increase the number picked up by the RSS feed.
Hi buzzard

The version announced with this thread here (version 1.1) still didn't include the option to email articles so this is why I didn't reply here up until now.

The good news is that since this new version was released we released two more minor updates since then (updates 1.11 and 1.12) and we now also have a new feature included which allow users to easily email an article to any email address of your choice from within the article reading dialog I hope that this will be helpful. You can find more details about the most recent update at the following link:

http://forums.sbsh.net/index.php?showtopic=26100

As for the content downloaded - this depends on the source of the feed. RSS feeds usually will have only a short description of the article and not the entire article included with them. However, if you add channels using GoNews Templates those will include full-text articles with them (including pictures) and not only the RSS headlines that are usually provided from web-sites. You can find lots of site templates within GoNews Templates forum that users are sharing at the following link:

http://forums.sbsh.net/index.php?showforum=158

You can easily load these additional templates to GoNews and add them as new channels there.

I hope that this helps!