Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Image Persistence: The LCD Monitor's Equivalent of Burn-In

http://compreviews.about.com/od/mon...a/LCDBurnIn.htm

A month or two ago I posted a message on Twitter about getting "burn-in" on my LCD monitor, an old Dell W2600 that I've had for years - I think I bought it back in 2005. The monitor has been perfect up until recently, when I started to see that elements of software's user interface were visible on the screen after I closed the application. My first instinct was to call this "burn-in", because that's what it looked like. A few people Tweeted me back (boy "tweet" is a stupid sounding term, isn't it?) that LCD monitors couldn't get burn-in because of the type of technology they used. Sure enough, over the next few days the images faded away. I didn't do much research into the problem at the time, but when it happened again yesterday - look at the image above and you'll see UI elements from Defraggler - I looked into it more. It turns out this type of thing is called image persistence, and while it shares some of the same visual glitches as the burn-in you'd see on a CRT or some types of TV sets, because the technology driving it is so different, it's a very different sort of issue. The good news is that the fix is often a simple one: turn off the monitor and leave it off for a few hours. In my case the first time I saw this problem it persisted for several weeks, but eventually faded away. The image above, from the most recent incident, was gone after only a few hours of the monitor being powered down. The About.com article has a few more suggestions if you run into this problem.