Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Samsung Omnia Update Uncripples GPS On Verizon Models

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...60&AT_ID=157996

"New software for the Samsung Omnia that will give customers an additional option for navigation is now available. The open GPS feature allows customers to purchase or use free applications by adding them to the device. Customers can still use VZ Navigator with turn by turn directions that talk to you while driving and takes you to millions of locations throughout the U. S. and just recently parts of Europe."

Every so often Verizon tries to not appear so evil. Omnia owners on Big V, take advantage of this glimpse of civility!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
drowe
Ponderer

That's all lovely for the owners of those few devices, but they are still scum for intentionally disabling my gps on my touch in the 6.0 to 6.1 upgrade.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

I find it extremely interesting that Verizon finally unlocks the GPS - probably within a few months of the launch of the Omnia II. I think they probably have an internal strategy that says, in essence, "unlock the features when the phone is about to be replaced with a newer model."

Seriously, Verizon just does some stupid things - and this is one of them. They ask the manufacturer to "cripple" the phone's full features, then when they explain the delay for releasing the patch, they make it sound like they need to wait for the manufacturer to re-release and then test the changes!

Come on Verizon - treat your customers like you want to keep them! Give us fully functioning devices on day 1! (And don't try and convince me that GPS poses some kind of risk to your network - because I'm not buying it!)

Last edited by Bob Anderson; 07-22-2009 at 05:53 AM..