Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default TechRadar Reviews The Toshiba TG01

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ph...1-615602/review

"Toshiba is back with the TG01 - a phone that it hopes will propel it to the forefront of the smartphone market, jostling the iPhone 3GS and HTC Hero out the way in the process. It plans to do this by creating the largest, thinnest and fastest mobile in the industry, but will that be enough to create an instant hit for Tosh? Let's take a look through the phone's inner workings with the Toshiba TG01 review."

Techradar have done nice, if ambivalent, review of the just-released TG01. Why aren't over the moon over it? Because Toshiba's UI overlay doesn't do that good a job of hiding WM6.1. Toshiba appear inclined to provide the upgrade to WM6.5, but given their record, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Interesting that the 1GHz Snapdragon processor doesn't appear to give that big a boost to the user experience, at least from perceptions of the device's speed (I'd love to see some benchmarks). The hardware continues to impress but less than stellar implementation can. as always. spoil the package - at this stage at least. Any of our readers try the TG01 out yet?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 AM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Just looking at the TG01 makes me all the more convinced that Toshiba, once a maker of well-built PPCs, are now pushing out half-hearted products.

I own the G810. Looking at pictures of the TG01, it's very obvious that they either used the same design as a base, or contracted from a company who recycled the design (and I suspect that it is actually HTC who actually builds it).

In any case, the same mistakes are recapitulated. The awkwardly-placed USB port is one. The headphone adapter had long since broken on mine, so now I'm reliant on my bluetooth headset for music. Worse yet, the port is starting to become loose, so even the connection with my charging cable is beginning to be compromised. This is after 6 months of use.

There is dust collecting under the screen.

And a 1000 mAh battery is woefully inadequate. My G810 has a 2.8" screen and uses a 1750 mAh battery. Without barely any calling, and no WiFi use, it barely lasts 3 days.

As for the speed...well the graphics driver is still broken, and Toshiba has pretty much ignored requests to update it. I'm hoping they don't make the same mistake with the TG01, because it'd be a crying shame to have a 1GHz snapdragon but have it crawl to a standstill with anything remotely graphically intense. NFS ran on it which is reassuring.

I'm not holding my breath on this. I'll wait for the new HTC devices with the 3.5mm ports.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Based on what I read and watched so far my opinion is that the TG01 is a WM 6.5 optimized phone; they put the 6.1 and a sluggish UI replacement to start selling right away.
Now if and when Tosiba will confirm full and quick upgreadability to 6.5 I will buy it right away, till then I will stay with my HTC Pro.... running WM 6.5 of course.