Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Bluetooth Vulnerability When Connecting To Untrusted Devices

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/...bluetoothattack

"If you have an HTC smartphone running Windows Mobile 6 or Windows Mobile 6.1, you may want to think twice before connecting to an untrusted device using Bluetooth. A vulnerability in an HTC driver installed on these phones can allow an attacker to access any file on the phone or upload malicious code using Bluetooth, a Spanish security researcher warned Tuesday."

I guess the only Bluetooth devices I connect to are my own, like my headset. For those of you that like going to airports and scanning for BT devices and seeing if you can connect to them, be careful. One of them could be a hacker. Be especially careful of those with labels like "Open Internet Device" or something similar to entice you to connect.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM
fone_fanatic
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to fone_fanatic Send a message via Yahoo to fone_fanatic

i thought it was common sense not to accept a BT connection from an unknown source since 2000.

I used to live in the middle east where they use BT like crazy! you can't go have a cup of coffe at starbucks without getting 100 or so BT requests. They'd range from xxx pics/vids to fanatic propaganda. Viruses were known to be out there so you wouldn't set your device to be discoverable unless you had an AV installed. That was back in the symbian days, now with my WM i dont have BT on unless i'm driving my car with a BT Stereo installed.