Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC Touch Pro2 Coming to Canada from Telus Mobility

"Available later this month, the HTC Touch Pro2 smartphone will help TELUS clients stay in touch easily with a large sliding 3.6" touchscreen and full QWERTY keypad. The enhanced Windows Mobile 6.1 professional platform will enable users to sync their email, contacts and calendar with Microsoft ActiveSync, plus access applications such as YouTube on TELUS' 3G network and almost anywhere they travel around the world with TELUS international roaming."

The above quote is from a Telus press release, which seems to be impossible to find online, but here are some other quotes from it:

• Network support: 3G EVDO Rev A, HSPA, Quad-band EDGE to stay productive and entertained on-the-go while travelling abroad or across Canada
  • Optional microSD memory expandable to 16 GB to store documents, music, videos and photos
  • 3.6" 65k WVGA (800x 480) touchscreen
  • 3.2 MP camera/video with auto focus to take and share pictures with family and friends
  • Easy access to You Tube, Digital Photo Frame and weather
  • TELUS Navigator, TELUS Visual Voice Mail, TELUS mobile TV and more

The interesting thing here is that this is a CDMA phone with EVDO Rev A but also quad-band GSM - so when you're in North America you can rock the better speed and range of CDMA, and when you travel you'll roam onto the GSM network. That's a big deal for anyone that has a CDMA phone and is used to leaving it behind when they travel internationally. No word on exact pricing.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I wonder when Rogers will get onto the 'data handheld for business users' bandwagon. Ever since the original Tilt, they seem to have given up on keyboard slider units, in favour of the iPhone.

Oh well, just have to wait until AT&T pushes one out stateside, then import and connect away...thank goodness for GSM standards and Rogers' 'open network' attitude.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Paragon
Magi

Here's a link:
HTC Touch Pro2? - COMING SOON*|* Smartphones*|* Phones*|* TELUS Mobility

Not that there's anything different from what Jason already posted.

Dave

Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Twain
Ponderer

Now, if only we can find out when Verizon will be selling these. Then I can ditch my Treo 700w!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
BTS
Intellectual

Here's what bugs me about Telus. My contract came due at the beginning of May. I sat back and waited to see if any new phones were going to be offered. Around the beginning of June I started getting daily phone calls to renew my contract. I specifically asked if this phone and the Touch Diamond 2 would be available this year. They did not know the answer and they rarely seem to know what's in the pipeline. After offering my free voicemail and call display I renewed and bought an Omnia.

The Omnia is a nice device but with the keyboard of the Touch Pro I don't think it's as useful. I wish I had known the Touch Pro 2 was coming - I would have waited for this phone.