Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default NuevaSync: Google + Windows Mobile in Sync Harmony

http://www.nuevasync.com/

Earlier this week, synchronization service NuevaSync announced their latest addition to the platform, push e-mail. NuevaSync already had calendar & contact sync from Google to Windows Mobile, iPhone, and pretty much any platform that supports the Microsoft Activesync protocol. Since I've been using Google for the last month or so (in lieu of my exchange server), I thought it may be interesting to give this service a shot. After all, only $25 for a year of service isn't too pricey (.002 cents per hour if you want to think of it that way...).

The first thing you notice about NuevaSync is it's no-frills website. This makes it mobile friendly, and still usable on the desktop. Their site was a bit disjointed (with a Wiki and Blog loosely linked up, with recent navigation improvements) but it gets the job done. After upgrading to Premium (for $25 a year), you can access the e-mail action. This is where you link up your IMAP e-mail account. Any IMAP server that supports the IDLE command should work just fine with their service, and they have an express setup option for GMail users. Contacts & Calendar set up easily as well, and as a premium user you can select which Google Calendars you want to sync with your device.

There are a few pitfalls and "gotchas" associated with NuevaSync, however. First, see that "Tasks" link above? Well, it doesn't work! I suspect this means that they'd like to integrate tasks (Which would be fabulous), but haven't gotten there yet.  The calendar option, while it allows you to sync multiple calendars, doesn't support calendar-to-category sync yet, so all of your sync'ed items dump in with no category to identify their original calendar. This is a minor inconvience, but having category support would be extremely nice. After contacting NuevaSync, I found it is a feature they intend to add at some point soon!

There are other alternatives out there to use your Windows Mobile device with Big G, however my favorite set up is one I don't need to run on my own systems - and NuevaSync appears to fit the bill. So if you're looking to get your Google Mail, Contacts, and Calendar on your device (and don't have a server ActiveSync source), then check them out!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM
uwaku
Ponderer
Default Google Contacts & Calendar

You do know that Google Contacts & Calendar can be sync'd over the air using the native WM ActiveSync app, right? Doesn't help for push email, but it helps, it's free, and it's native, so very easy.
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/...&answer=135937

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

uwaku: You cannot sync multiple calendars using the Google version. NuevaSync handles syncing multiple calendars, though everything coming from your phone gets collapsed into your main calendar.

I've been using NuevaSync for about a year now, and IMAP email for longer than that. To be honest, I don't see enough extra utility in push email over an IMAP poll every 30 minutes or every hour (based on time of day) to make it worth even $25 / year.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

I had previously used Google's sync, but for me Push E-mail makes like incredibly easier, so I miss it when I don't have it around. My inbox doesn't fill regularly, it fills in spurts (e.g. 1 hour may see 10 new messages, next hour sees none). This means that a regular IMAP pulling schedule misses many messages that I may want to see immediately, and pulls unnecessarily very frequently. Push saves me battery life and also my sanity, hence my flocking to NuevaSync's solution over a regular schedule.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 AM
doogald
Oracle

I use Nueva for calendars and contacts and I love it. Verizon Wireless has a push e-mail solution for free, so I just use that. It definitely saves in battery life, as the device is not polling every however minutes for new mail.

But, it's good to know that Nueva has this service now, too.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

I guess my email just isn't important enough then As far as battery goes, 30 minutes polling is only 48 polls a day. I spend more radio time checking Twitter via web browser.