Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Find Your Way Back with GpsSpot

http://www.cradle-software.de/en/software/gpsspot

"You don't know where you parked your car anymore? Have you ever wondered how far your are away from home and in what direction it is? GpsSpot from Cradle Software uses the build in or attached GPS device to show in what direction and how far a previously saved spot is."

A few months back I was looking for a GPS gadget that did exactly what this software does - guide you back to a specific GPS location that you've tagged. This is exactly what I needed, and at an asking price of 2.90 Euros, it's cheap enough that even if you only use it a few times a year, it would be worth it. Unfortunately it's for Windows Mobile Professional devices only, not Windows Mobile Standard devices.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM
mbranscum
Thinker

Can't you do the same thing with Google Maps for free? It allows you to save your position and reference it, say a parking spot or anything else.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
Can't you do the same thing with Google Maps for free? It allows you to save your position and reference it, say a parking spot or anything else.
You need a data connection for that. You might be out camping, or in another country, and not have a data connection. GPS is everywhere.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
You need a data connection for that. You might be out camping, or in another country, and not have a data connection. GPS is everywhere.
I can speak to that. My wife and I were up in a northern maryland state park as part of our honeymoon. We couldn't route our way back because there was not ATT coverage up there.

Luckily it was easy to get back to the highway.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
GPS is everywhere.
As long as you're outdoors (and not under something like a bridge), of course...

This does sound like a nifty app though.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Any one tried this on a square screen like the Samsung Epix? Yea it is a touchscreen device, i.e. Pro, but lots of things have problems with that 320x320 screen.