Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Touch Pro2 For T-Mo in August!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...-august-launch/

"We'd been holding out hope that T-Mobile's version of the HTC Touch Pro2 would materialize for customers in the month of July, but that's looking less and less likely now that we have some awfully real-looking documentation that claims otherwise. TmoNews has nabbed some sort of slide suggesting that HTC's latest AWS-equipped superphone won't hit retail until August 12"

Are you a "successful professional who tend[s] to be [an] early adopter and place[s] high value on having top-of-the-line products"? Are you also a "t-mobile customer frustrated that 3G Windows Mobile phones are only now starting to roll out, when AT&T has had them for years?". Then the Touch Pro2 may be your saving grace. It looks pretty good - I'm thinking of having a Mass Jon Firesale of Pocket PCs to finance one of these (And perhaps a MyTouch as well, for a good ole' fashion Android vs. WinMo Showdown!).

Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default I couldnt' ask for more

Being a T-Mobile subscriber, and making the most of my TouchHD sans NAM 3G I am super relieved to hear this news. This device is looks like it's going to kick but. But, I might have to get a new housing for it (I'm not feeling that color scheme, but I'll wait to see it in person).

There were some guys over at the t-mo site complaining about the specs. Is there something I'm missing? Because the last time I checked the specs on the TP2 rocks....

Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
efjay
Theorist

Same specs as the previous generation, same poor multimedia performance, higher price. Thanks but no thanks, no more HTC "upgrades" for me. My Pharos Traveler is working just fine on AWS.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
Being a T-Mobile subscriber, and making the most of my TouchHD sans NAM 3G I am super relieved to hear this news. This device is looks like it's going to kick but. But, I might have to get a new housing for it (I'm not feeling that color scheme, but I'll wait to see it in person).

There were some guys over at the t-mo site complaining about the specs. Is there something I'm missing? Because the last time I checked the specs on the TP2 rocks....
It depends... Touch Pro 2 uses the same processor of the predecessor; personally I am not crazy about the shape too but this is a matter of preferences.
Anyway I ma buying the Toshiba TG01, enough of HTC.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default it's going to be huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
It depends... Touch Pro 2 uses the same processor of the predecessor; personally I am not crazy about the shape too but this is a matter of preferences.
Anyway I ma buying the Toshiba TG01, enough of HTC.
I see we have similar tastes my friend. I was really interested in the TGO1. 4+ inch screen, slim as a razor, and 1GHZ processor. then I started to consider the size of the thing, have you seen the amount of space in the bezzle are, this thing is going to be huge!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
srmz
Ponderer

I think the Samsung Omnia 2 is another good entry in this space though you will have to wait a little for this to be available commercially.

Presently I am on the HTC HD but now seriously considering the Toshiba TG 01 or the Samsung Omnia 2. Yes the very big space wasting bezel in case of the Toshiba is a concern for me too.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

It's about TIME. T-Mobile has to be the slowest out of all providers offering decent WinMo Pro devices. I can't wait. My Wing is very tired!

And are those actual buttons that I see on the front? That'd be fantastic.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 PM
martin_ayton
Thinker

Well, I'm about to get a Touch Diamond2 on T-Mo in the UK. It's called a 'Compact V' with the T-Mo branding, which includes (IMHO) a rather nicer rear cover design than the HTC version. Rumour has it that it has a 'guaranteed' upgrade to 6.5 later this year, but I'll believe that when I see it. On an 18 month contract it should see me through to a reasonable selection of WinMo7 devices. And if that doesn't live up to the promise, I'll be buying a fruitfone.

I nearly got the 3GS this time around - with a few app purchases, it is finally capable of doing what I need it to - but O2 in the UK are taking advantage of their single-supplier status and offering a very uncompetitive deal: I got the Compact V for 'free' over eighteen months, whereas O2 wanted �175 for the 3GS, a two year contract and 50% more per month for a similar level of service to T-Mo.

I've pretty much given up on physical keyboards for HTC / WinMo devices: I've had three now - an Xda2s, a Vario III and a Vario IV - and they have all had a tendency to need a fresh soft-reset to work properly. The main problem was multiple recognition of a single keystroke (i.e. press 'a', get 'aaaaaaa') which gets really frustrating, especially when you're trying to get the function key to register. In the end I found that using Fitaly was faster, and the keyboard just became unnecessary ballast - hance the move to the keyboard-less Touch Diamond2.

It should arrive on Monday. I'll load it up and let you all know what I think (assuming you're interested!).

Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default Touchpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ayton View Post
Well, I'm about to get a Touch Diamond2 on T-Mo in the UK. It's called a 'Compact V' with the ........ Fitaly was faster, and the keyboard just became unnecessary ballast - hance the move to the keyboard-less Touch Diamond2.

It should arrive on Monday. I'll load it up and let you all know what I think (assuming you're interested!).
Nice post, actually now I'm questioning getting the TouchPro2 and replacing my Touch HD (sans NAM 3g). I noticed that you mentioned Fitaly, I would suggest you try Touchpal it's by far the fasted virtual keyboard on the market, once I got past the one week learning curve I was able to type faster using one hand and touchpal than using two hand on my retired HTC universal.

I swear I'm not an offical spokes person or anything but you got to try Touchpal, it rocks!