Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC's New TouchFlo 3D User Interface

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...d-lusted-after/

"HTC's TouchFLO 3D UI manages to make Windows Mobile hip but after HTC unveiled its Sense UI for the Hero, we're sure that more than few of the WinMo faithful were tempted to switch over to Android to get in on all of the new hotness. But to the fanboys who dare not think of committing such heresy we ask that you take a look at the image..."

HTC's TouchFlo interface continues to evolve, adding more features, more speed, and going deeper into the operating system. That's a good thing. What's frustrating though is how HTC wants to use their software as a differentiating feature from device to device, giving users of perfectly capable hardware (say, the Touch Diamond) no way to get this enhanced software experience. Some turn to illegal ROMs to get the software, which is unfortunate. Check out the video after the break showing the software in action on a forthcoming HTC device - what I find most interesting about it is that other than the softkeys, you can't really tell this is a Windows Mobile smartphone based on the UI - HTC has changed the start menu flag and even the system tray icons. Interesting!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

Seems to offer many more options - or at least makes them easier to get to - but otherwise is readily recognizable as "TouchFlo" interface.

Was fascinated by the video however: English Text on device, with German speaker providing description. Could not decide how much of his talk was understood through recalling ages-ago instruction in the language, as opposed to simple Assumptions based upon watching video + frequent use of English words (and, of course, the fore-mentioned device text!).

In any event, looks like a worthwhile addition to TouchFlo.... When did you say HTC was making it available for Current Devices?!?!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I wish he had spent more time on the basic functions. I was waiting to see what, if anything, they did with Messaging.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I have a Touch Diamond 2 I'm working with right now, toward an upcoming review. I'll be sure to delve into the capabilities of the TF3D2 interface in the review.

From what I understand, TF3D is a continuing evolving interface, and each subsequent new device and ROM release seems to include more features and deeper penetration into the O/S. From what I've seen on the TD2, HTC has made some interesting choices.