Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari
Default 3GS Signal Strength Weirdness

http://www.macworld.com/article/141...alstrength.html

"As my old 3G was still in use (it's now my wife's iPhone), I could conduct a test. Turning off Wi-Fi on both phones, I tracked their behavior. I confirmed that there were numerous occasions when the iPhone 3GS connected to EDGE while the iPhone 3G hooked up to a 3G network-even when the two devices were side-by-side. The reverse virtually never happened. Most of the time, the two iPhones connected to the same network, but a difference was definitely detectable."

The consensus is that the 3GS simply reports the network status more accurately.  Not sure I buy that, but it is what it is, I guess.

I'm having a different issue.  When the phone first wakes from sleep, my WiFi strength is one bar and that persists for quite a bit in areas where I know I have full signal because after a bit of run time, the signal strength moves to where it should be.  I wonder if maybe these two issues are related and maybe the iPhone 3GS does simply report signal strength more accurately?

Anyone else who can do a direct comparison between the 3G and 3GS?  Share your thoughts in the comments!