Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Is Windows Mobile in Danger of Becoming Software Plumbing?

Jump over to Engadget and watch the video they've posted of the newly-announced HTC Hero, an Android-based smartphone. Look at what HTC has done in terms of porting a version of TouchFlo from Windows Mobile over to Android - but also pay attention to the apps they've added and improved. Now picture those changes and improvements flowing back to future Windows Mobile devices. Between all of the customs apps that HTC has slowly but surely built up (photo viewer, music player, skinned browser, weather app, etc.) and the UI of TouchFlo, Windows Mobile is becoming nothing more than plumbing....which should terrify Microsoft. If the OS is just plumbing, then HTC could switch to whatever OS the wish on a given device. HTC is Microsoft's biggest smartphone partner - so what does it mean to Microsoft when their biggest partner is working to undermine the user interface of their operating system?

I can't say that I blame HTC for going down this road - Microsoft kept the user interface of Windows Mobile stuck in a Han Solo carbonite freeze for several years, completely missing the fact that no one ever liked using a stylus. Windows Mobile 6.5 brings a bunch of touch-based improvements to the table, but it doesn't seem like we'll see a real UI overhaul until Windows Mobile 7, which isn't arriving until 2010 if the rumours are to believed. Equally bad was the way that Microsoft left many of their applications out to rot in the sun. Windows Media Player Mobile, Pictures & Videos, Internet Explorer Mobile - none of these applications received noteworthy improvements in years. It's only recently that we're seeing an improvement in Internet Explorer Mobile, and becoming the much-maligned (from a Web developer's point of view) IE6. Microsoft's failure to put any real effort into their applications outside of PIM improvements - and I think Windows Mobile has the best PIM apps out there today - added to the overall atrophy of Windows Mobile. So for HTC to forge ahead and create finger-friendly applications isn't surprising.

So looking at what HTC is doing with creating a unified experience, what do you think this will mean for Windows Mobile? Will you even know you're using a Windows Mobile phone by the end of 2009 if HTC has their way? Better yet, will you care?

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog. He's still searching for the ultimate netbook.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Stinger
Thinker

I agree, it's a worrying trend for Microsoft. If HTC get to the stage where they're running the same UI and app on top of both Windows Mobile and Android, they'll surely question why they should pay $15 per unit to Microsoft when they're paying nothing to Google.

The problems are all of Microsoft's own making unfortunately. You rightly pointed out that they've left the non-enterprise apps to rot. I'd still be using a Windows Mobile phone if the browser, media player and camera were up to scratch.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 PM
paschott
Intellectual

I care, but mostly because I've got a lot of WM apps and really don't want to re-purchase them for other platforms. MS really has dropped the ball on WM and is now frantically playing catch-up. Of course, I still like WM overall because it's very flexible, but am saddened that MS has fallen so far behind and really, really missed the opportunity they had w/ the vast number of users on their devices.

Be interesting to see how this ultimately plays out, but hoping MS will really make major changes in WM7 so they don't completely drop out of the market. I definitely don't want to hand this market over to Apple, even if the iPhone has a great UI. It's pretty clear that the iPhone is catching-up with features that have been available on other platforms for some time (but of course, they're new and revolutionary when Apple implements them ).

I'd also agree that MS needs to update some of those core apps rather than leaving "opportunities" for 3rd parties. New internet program, new media player, touch or stylus friendly - all of these would really help. If they can integrate their Zune Marketplace into the system somehow, that would also help.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I can't say I'll care. I still follow Windows Mobile news, but I jumped ship for the iPhone back in April. I'm not likely to go back unless a drastic change of course happens not only on Windows Mobile but in the WM ecosystem. We can all be reasonably certain that will not happen.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 PM
efjay
Theorist

Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise. If every manufacturer dumps WM maybe then MS will produce their own phone and judging from the Zune HD hardware they could make a pretty good device.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 PM
petvas
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas Send a message via Skype™ to petvas

This trend is certainly a problem for Microsoft but they are to blame here...
Microsoft has neglected Windows Mobile for many years. There are also conflicting products inside of Microsoft that don't use Windows Mobile.
Windows Mobile should be the base OS for all Zune devices (for example). Microsoft should also change its upgrade policy, by providing OS Updates to all devices that can run them...I have an HTC Touch HD and it won't be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5. Why Microsoft???

Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

It's not just the apps. It's also the way they can work together. Consider that the iPhone is only now adding cut-and-paste as an OS feature (rather than a hack). Plumbing can be very important. The question is whether you can communicate that importance to the non-technical user.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 AM
j2inet
Pupil

I don't think we are yet at the point of the HTC UI being a threat. Not to undermind the importance of a good UI but for now it is only an interface and by itself not a significant thread to the WM space. UI frameworks that abstract the underlying operating system away are not a new thing (thinking of Java Swing, and Qt).

IMO the bigger threat would be technologies that can be used to both provide a UI and envelope functionality such as Flash. As the OS becomes further abstracted it becomes easier to make a move from one OS to another while minimizine (if not eliminating) the amount of code that would need to be changed in an application to make it compatible with another platform

Microsoft has the ability to make such frameworks too (Silverlight for one, though portions of the .Net framework have been ported to other operating systems too). When Silverlight gets ported to Symbian and if it gets ported to Android then the playing field could change from being WM vs Andoid vs Symbian vs iPhone to Flash vs Silverlight vs iPhone for general purpose applications.

Last edited by j2inet; 06-25-2009 at 04:26 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Twain
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
... so what does it mean to Microsoft when their biggest partner is working to undermine the user interface of their operating system?
I pretty much agree with the posters. Microsoft has completely abdicated their role in developing a fresh user interface that keeps up with the times. HTC, being an enterprising (and hungry) mobile phone vendor, decided to offer innovation in areas that Microsoft either would or could not. At least HTC appears to be considering what consumers want.

I would agree that Microsoft dropped the ball on WM, but would otherwise disagree when Paschott says,

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott
MS really has dropped the ball on WM and is now frantically playing catch-up.
Until Windows Mobile 7 comes out, I will reserve judgement on whether or not they are "frantically" doing anything. There has been much heat on WM7 but so far, no light -- Zune HD previews notwithstanding.

I also agree with Jason's sentiments on the mobile applications. Microsoft can't seem to follow through and "stick to it" on anything except for Internet Explorer and Office type applications. They have recently discontinued the PC-based Money application and long ago dropped efforts on the mobile edition of the product. Very disappointing given that all my efforts to keep my finances synchronized and available at my fingertips has gone to waste.

By the way, did anyone else lose all of their stored locations in the "update" to Bing Mobile?

Last edited by Twain; 06-25-2009 at 04:24 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM
bendy
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuelle1 View Post
I can't say I'll care. I still follow Windows Mobile news, but I jumped ship for the iPhone"
I have done the same for the 3gs. I have been a big fan of WM for years but it just has not moved on and is not coherent in the way OS 3 is. Yes it has annoyances but way less than WM.

Sadly I feel like i backed the wrong horse and i wont be going back there