Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Toshiba TG01 Is Big In Japan

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/...ocomo-t-01a-in/

"One of the hottest pieces of gear this year just made its way to retail in Japan. Less than a centimeter thick, the NTT DoCoMo T-01A is the same TG01 device revealed by Toshiba back in February running Qualcomm's ultra-fast 1GHz Snapdragon chipset."

This is one humdinger of a phone. Along with the Snapdragon chipset, you get every radio under the sun (if not quite all the right freqs for global use), 256MB RAM, a massive 4.1" WVGA screen, a thin 9.9mm chasis, and available in white or black. Downsides are a low rez main camera at just 3.1MP and a piddling 1000mAH battery to power all that hardware. Chances are we'll see this in Asia and Europe in another month or two, but I wouldn't lay odds on if or when it'll appear in the US. Hit the link for the gallery, or the Microsoft product page for more details (warning: Japanese text).

Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Hopefully it will be available even sooner; people commenting to Engadget reported that the device seems to be available in Spain and it will also be available in Germany soon. Now if Toshiba will officially confirm the upgreadability to Wm 6.5 I will buy ASAP. It is time to replace my Touch Pro.....running WM 6.5

Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

It would be great to see a version for NA, but I am REALLY worried about that battery capacity. That's incredibly small given all the radios/cpu power this thing has to run. Unless they've found some incredible new battery management software algorithm, this thing probably won't last the entire day...

Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
It would be great to see a version for NA, but I am REALLY worried about that battery capacity. That's incredibly small given all the radios/cpu power this thing has to run. Unless they've found some incredible new battery management software algorithm, this thing probably won't last the entire day...
Yes, I agree that it would be nice to see this device on sale in US, but with cell phone market structure here in America, costs of getting it legal for sale here and marketing, unless one of the major carriers wants to pick it up, Toshiba has no reason to bring it here. It is just too expensive! So, you may end up with EU version at the best.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
Yes, I agree that it would be nice to see this device on sale in US, but with cell phone market structure here in America, costs of getting it legal for sale here and marketing, unless one of the major carriers wants to pick it up, Toshiba has no reason to bring it here. It is just too expensive! So, you may end up with EU version at the best.
...and the pain with that is that it won't do 3G/H, and won't work at all on the CDMA networks

Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Fellwalker
Pupil

Hurrah!
This has been a long wait, but with the TG02 (announced as following soon) being waterproof, and me wanting something i can use out walking, its going to be a little longer yet.
Luckily the old HP iPAQ hx4700 is still going, as is the Motorola RAZR3 though it gave me a fright recently which was only solved by leaving the battery out for a couple of days. How did I survive that long...
I just hope that it lives up to expectations.
Toshiba claim 220 hours standby and 4 hours talk time. How that will drop when used as a proper pda is up to our reviewers to let us know. I'll happily take one on approval...

UPDATE: Having just looked at the Toshiba web site that is dedicated to this phone, I regret to say that I feel completely deflated. What an awful site. Awful music. And yes you can buy it in Spain with a contract - telephonica movistar appears to be the carrier.

In the UK, handtec have it shown as available contract free for �448.50.
HTC HD2.Finally ditched HP hx4700 and miss its excellent screen, which was the proper shape, and its accuracy with a stylus.Sad Psion never developed its 5 series.Fed up that TomTom don't support HD2.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post

UPDATE: Having just looked at the Toshiba web site that is dedicated to this phone, I regret to say that I feel completely deflated. What an awful site. Awful music. And yes you can buy it in Spain with a contract - telephonica movistar appears to be the carrier.

In the UK, handtec have it shown as available contract free for �448.50.
You can also buy it in Italy for �540, no contract and tax included; I just ordered one.

Tags
7000 t-01a's soldout