Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The iZel: A Digital Device Holder

The iZel is a small, portable digital device holder (stand) that allows you to easily watch video content in comfort while on a plane, train etc. All you need is a surface to put the iZel on. In the video I test it out with a variety of devices: Zunes, smartphones, an iPod Touch, etc. When I travel, I like to load up my Zune with a movie or two, but I end up holding it in my hand to watch it - not very ideal. The iZel offers a solution to that problem, although depending on the screen size of your device, and how good your eyesight is, watching a video at tray-table height might be difficult. The iZel is made of very durable materials, so it should last a very long time, making it worth the price tag in my opinion (though not everyone agrees). I'll likely be travelling by plane in September, so I'll get a chance to use it in a real-world situation. In the meantime, I'm going to use it as a holder for my cellphone-du-jour, the Samsung Jack. The iZel can be purchased for $24.95 from Amazon.com. [Affiliate]

Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Scarpad
Pupil

Go to Micheals, get a wooden or plastic Picture stand that does the same exact thing for 2 Bucks. I bought 3 of them for a third of what this cost.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Go to Micheals, get a wooden or plastic Picture stand that does the same exact thing for 2 Bucks. I bought 3 of them for a third of what this cost.
Haha we've already had this discussion:

http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f305...and-93205.html

You're welcome to do what you wish, but for me, this is a nice solution for travelling.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
jalbridge
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to jalbridge Send a message via MSN to jalbridge Send a message via Yahoo to jalbridge
Talking iZel for me

This looks great! I plan on using it for my 80GB Zune as well as my 16GB 3G iPhone!! I would tell the nay-sayers above me on this thread... It looks very stable and remember, you get what you pay for. (Unless of course, I win one for free.)

Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

That looks awesome and would serve my iPhone quite nicely. Great demo and explanation Jason. Seems that some people prefer to put price over all other factors when making purchases. This as you said is excellent for travel. One could even just put it in a pocket until needed. I think I need two of them.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
karen
Thinker

I've McGyvered plenty of stands on planes out of the small styrofoam cups they use for coffee.

I've also used 3-4 rubber bands and hung my Touch from the tray table clasp/coat hook, which is just about at eye level.

It all depends on which type of equipment you are flying as to what works best.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
martin_ayton
Thinker

I now have one. It is very nice. However, there is insufficient room below the cradled device when in portrait (i.e. stood up in the stand) to get a power cable in - the plugs are just too big. I have just tried a USB cable with an angled plug (from http://www.angledcables.com) and that if better bit it still needs me to perch my device on top of the support hooks rather than safely down inside them.

So, great for unpowered use. Not so great as a desktop cradle next to your PC.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I got a chance to use the iZel I was sent for review on a plane for the first time, and it works GREAT. I'm really impressed with it - the fact that it folds down flat makes it perfect for travelling.