Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC Touch Diamond2 Unboxing & First Impressions Video

Here it is: the latest and greatest from HTC in their Touch line, the Touch Diamond2. [Affiliate] This Windows Mobile Professional 6.1 smartphone has a 528 MHz Qualcomm MSM7200A processor, 288 MB of RAM, 512 MB of ROM, and a gorgeous 3.2-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with a massive 480 X 800 WVGA screen resolution.

This is a 3G GSM phone, featuring HSDPA/WCDMA on the Europe/Asia frequencies of 900/2100 MHz. It's a quad-band 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz are supported. It also has a built-in GPS, 802.11b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0, and a 5.0 megapixel camera with autofocus (no flash). There's a small front-facing VGA camera for video calling, and a microSDHC slot allows you to expand the storage memory on the device. Oh, and there's an FM radio and G-Sensor (accelerometre) as well.

It weighs 117.5 grams (4.15 ounces) with the batter, is 4.25 inches tall (107.85mm), 2.09 inches wide (53.1mm), and 0.54 inches thick (13.7mm). The 1100mAh battery allows for 300 minutes of talk time (3G) or 340 minutes of talk time (2G).

Old 06-13-2009, 02:08 AM
PPC to go
Pupil
Default Looks Cool ... some questions

Thanks for the review. How does the display work outside in the sun? And what carriers will be offering it? Sprint or not?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC to go View Post
Thanks for the review. How does the display work outside in the sun? And what carriers will be offering it? Sprint or not?
I'll have to test it in the sun...but I suspect it will be like most displays and not be all that great. As for Sprint, this is the GSM version, so if Sprint carries this phone, it will be with a different hardware configuration - Sprint tends to change not only the radio but also some other hardware specs.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 PM
wormscoffer
Neophyte

It's not brilliant (pun intended) in the sun but usable.

I do have to say this about the device: I've had Windows Mobile devices since their inception and this phone has been the first truly "usable" device in realistic terms. Forget specification details. This is a device you can whip out your pocket, easily keep on top of your email, make calls and use applications. The stylus stays in the device nearly all the time.

The amount of work I've managed to get done when I have an odd 30 seconds here and there has dramatically improved compared even to the Diamond I had before and THAT'S what really matters.

ROI...really!

I look forward to seeing it get better with Windows Mobile 6.5.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormscoffer View Post
I do have to say this about the device: I've had Windows Mobile devices since their inception and this phone has been the first truly "usable" device in realistic terms. Forget specification details. This is a device you can whip out your pocket, easily keep on top of your email, make calls and use applications. The stylus stays in the device nearly all the time.

The amount of work I've managed to get done when I have an odd 30 seconds here and there has dramatically improved compared even to the Diamond I had before and THAT'S what really matters.

ROI...really!

I look forward to seeing it get better with Windows Mobile 6.5.
Seconded! I found the same thing. I was tremendously more productive with the TD2 than I have been with almost every other phone/pda I've tested. Everything just worked exactly the way I expected it to! It was great to work with.

I can hardly wait for a North American version of this to come out on GSM. It even makes me consider giving up on the 'need' for a slide-out keyboard. It'll be a tough act for the Touch Pro 2 to follow.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
martin_ayton
Thinker

- Screen: No better than normal in sunlight. Indoors, it's gorgeous.
- Why oh why doesn't TouchFlo3D work in landscape?
- I find 'phone / data and WiFi reception to be marginally worse than my Tilt
- I like the on-screen keyboard, but miss a ctrl key - hard to do cut and paste without it. I might try TouchPal, as recommended elsewhere.
- I don't understand why I can no longer highlight and select text in mail applications. Cut and paste - a huge advantage of this OS - is no longer possible. Weird since this is WinMo 6.1 and the same OS on my Tilt allows that.
- At the risk of repeating a post in another thread: I like Opera9 (which comes on the UK T-Mo version), but can't work out how to import favourites from IE6.
- IE6 is actually pretty good.
- Bluetooth implementation is *very* good
- The built-in music player is pretty good. It's very strange that I can't flip through albums from the main screen though - only through tracks on the selected album.

On the whole, I'm liking mine, and I agree with the productivity comments above.

A caveat to those with the T-Mo MDA Compact V version of this: It is not at all the same shape as the original TD2. It has a USB port cover which stops it fitting in 'standard' TD2 cradles. The screen and 'phone speaker arrangement mean that 'standard' TD2 screen protectors don't fit. The stylus is on the other side of the unit and is a slightly different shape. *Don't* buy spares and accessories for your Compact V unless they specifically state that they are compatible with the Compact V.