Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Bing is Mobile Friendly

http://m.bing.com

Bing is Microsoft's re-branded and re-launched Live Search engine, so if you're looking for something using your smartphone, point your mobile browser at m.bing.com. A nice, short URL! I've done a bit of testing and it works quite well in terms of results and giving you customized options for your location - I added weather to the Bing home page. Of course, it's always a bit of a challenge to fit a lot of results on the screen, but at first glance Bing works well. Have you used it yet? What are your impressions?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM
doogald
Oracle

Google is good enough that i do not need to replace it with Bing. And, when I did side-by-side searches, Google had far richer results on the front page than Bing did in most cases, otherwise they matched. I will say this - search results come back *fast*.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM
daS
Thinker

So far, my first try with Bing was less than stellar: I got a flat tire on the way to the airport last week. Managed to get there on time anyway, but now I need new tires before I head home. So I tried using Bing to search for "discount tires in Torrance CA" and the results were useless. Then I tried "where to buy discount tires in Torrance CA" and got "reasonable" hits, but nothing better than Google. Perhaps because I'm connected from an IP address in Korea Bing is not trying to use localization, but I was expecting more than what I was seeing before from MSN Search and it just appears to be the same so far.

In any case, since I'm really hoping that somebody, anybody, will give Google a run for their money, I will play around with Bing a little while longer before I give up on it. However, I think its a mistake for Microsoft to bring it out early if it's not ready to live up to the announcement hype. I think most people will try it once and if it's not significantly different than Google, they will just go back to the "standard."

Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

I have used it on a couple occasions - mainly "news" on a couple of companies I regularly follow. It was quite interesting and worked very well, segmenting news from images, etc. When I clicked on a link and went to the actual website for the news story (from my phone) I was impressed at how well it rendered the page for PIE - compared to results from mobile Google. I will certainly use Bing on my phone. I'm not certain what I will do with my IE8 searches.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 PM
ahnbear
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to ahnbear Send a message via AIM to ahnbear Send a message via MSN to ahnbear Send a message via Yahoo to ahnbear
Default awful...

after multiple attempts to install it on a new phone... it never took

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnbear View Post
after multiple attempts to install it on a new phone... it never took
Install? There is no install with Bing - it's just a Web site. I think you're talking about something else...?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
nicolas22
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Install? There is no install with Bing - it's just a Web site. I think you're talking about something else...?
You need install the app for windows mobile device to use voice input. You can speak to the phone and the voice recognition automatically find search words for you. No more typing on small screen device. I love it.

Does google app do voice input?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas22 View Post
You need install the app for windows mobile device to use voice input. You can speak to the phone and the voice recognition automatically find search words for you. No more typing on small screen device. I love it.
Oh, you're talking about Bing for Windows Mobile (formerly known as Windows Live Search) - this was a post about the Bing mobile Web portal, not the application. They're two different things. I've installed Windows Live Search 15+ times on a variety of devices, and never had any trouble...maybe try a soft reboot and try again?