Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Pharos Traveler 137 Now Available, Upgradeable to Windows Mobile 6.5

http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?...rtner=pthoughts

"Pharos Science & Applications, Inc., a leading provider of location-based information and services, today announced the immediate availability of the Traveler 137, a striking Windows phone that is the first to give users access to 3G data speeds on both the T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless networks. The Traveler 137 features hybrid navigation software, giving it the unique ability to provide voice-prompted navigation even without a connection to a carrier's network. The Traveler 137 is sold unlocked, enabling users to use local GSM SIM cards worldwide and avoid international roaming charges. The Traveler 137 is available today from Amazon.com, Dell.com, eXpansys.com, and Newegg.com for the suggested retail price of $599.95. Users can obtain a $250 discount on the phone if signing up for a new T-Mobile two-year contract through Pharos."

The Pharos Traveler 137, which was unveiled back in January, is now available from major retailers for $599.95. If you're interested in saving a little and don't mind waiting a day, our affiliate hardware store should have some in stock tomorrow at the discounted price of $559.99.

The specs? A Qualcomm MSM 7201A 528 MHz processor, 256MB RAM, 512MB ROM, quad-band GSM/EDGE and tri-band (1700/1900/2100 MHz) UMTS/HSUPA/HSDPA connectivity, a stunning 3.5", 480 x 800 touch screen, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, an FM tuner, aGPS, dual-cameras (3.0-megapixel on the rear, 0.3-megapixel on the front), a microSDHC slot, USB 2.0, a stereo audio jack, and a 1380 mAh Li-Ion battery. It ships with Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, though we have confirmation from Pharos that it will be upgradeable to Windows Mobile 6.5.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 PM
efjay
Theorist

Can you confirm your confirmation it will be upgradable to WM 6.5? I have asked repeatedly on their forums and have always got the stock response that it will ship with 6.1. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Can you confirm your confirmation it will be upgradable to WM 6.5? I have asked repeatedly on their forums and have always got the stock response that it will ship with 6.1. Thanks.
Here's further confirmation. This is the press release that went out today.

Quote:
Pharos Delivers First Windows Phone to Provide 3G Speeds on Both Major GSM Networks

Available for the first time today, the Pharos Traveler 137 offers unrivaled 3G connectivity and best-in-class navigation on a sleek new phone

TORRANCE, Calif. � June 4, 2009 � Pharos Science & Applications, Inc., a leading provider of location-based information and services, today announced the immediate availability of the Traveler 137, a striking Windows phone that is the first to give users access to 3G data speeds on both the T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless networks. The Traveler 137 features hybrid navigation software, giving it the unique ability to provide voice-prompted navigation even without a connection to a carrier�s network. The Traveler 137 is sold unlocked, enabling users to use local GSM SIM cards worldwide and avoid international roaming charges. The Traveler 137 is available today from Amazon.com, Dell.com, eXpansys.com, and Newegg.com for the suggested retail price of $599.95. Users can obtain a $250 discount on the phone if signing up for a new T-Mobile two-year contract through Pharos.

�When it comes to phones, we believe consumers deserve the full spectrum of choice,� said Stephanie Ferguson, general manager, Microsoft Corp., Microsoft Corporation. �The Traveler 137 is a great example of a Windows phone that gives consumers the choice of 3G networks, the choice of personalization and the choice to use a single, powerful phone for both work and life.�

�The Traveler 137�s ultra-sensitive aGPS gives users the ability to navigate quickly; its high speed 3G capability brings a world of information to users� fingertips; its touch-and-sweep interface on a crisp WVGA screen makes using the powerful Windows phone fun and easy,� said James Oyang, PhD, President, Pharos.

Traveler 137 Specifications

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, updateable to Windows Mobile� 6.5
Processor: Qualcomm MSM 7201A 528MHz
Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM, 512MB Flash ROM
Phone: unlocked GSM quad band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, EDGE / GPRS,
Tri-band 3G, 1700/1900/2100 MHz, UMTS 384Kb/s, HSDPA 7.2Mb/s, HSUPA 2Mb/s

Talk time: up to 7 hours on GSM, 5 hours on 3G and 200 hours standby
Display: 3.5" TFT LCD with touch panel, 480 x 800 Wide-VGA with 65K colors
Wireless: GPS aGPS compatible, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth� v2.1 + EDR , FM tuner
Camera: 3 megapixel for picture or video, 0.3 megapixel on the front for video conference
Expansion: USB 2.0, micro SD slot support SDHC, stereo audio jack
Battery: 1380 mAh Li-Ion, rechargeable/replaceable
Size: 4.60in (L) x 2.40in (W) x 0.51in (H)
Weight: 4.9 ounces

Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
efjay
Theorist

Thank you very much, just what I hoped for looking at the specs. Just need to see a review before I jump in.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Thank you very much, just what I hoped for looking at the specs. Just need to see a review before I jump in.
There's apparently one on the way. I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I should have an indepth review ready about a month afterward (2 weeks of daily usage first :-)

Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Fritzly
Sage

It does say "Updateable", I would have rather preferred something like " We will provide owner of the phone with WM 6.5 whe it will become available";
I started using WM devices with the Motorola M200 and a lot of those devices , technically speaking, were upgreadable to a newer OS but most of the times users were not allowed, at least not officially, to do it.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

I don't think the manufacturer would issue a press release promoting unofficial OS upgradeability -- do you honestly think that's what they're doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
It does say "Updateable", I would have rather preferred something like " We will provide owner of the phone with WM 6.5 whe it will become available";
I started using WM devices with the Motorola M200 and a lot of those devices , technically speaking, were upgreadable to a newer OS but most of the times users were not allowed, at least not officially, to do it.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
There's apparently one on the way. I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I should have an indepth review ready about a month afterward (2 weeks of daily usage first :-)
May I ask if you can post a quick impressions review when you receive it? The indepth review can wait but I think a brief overview of its features would be welcome, sort of like an unboxing and hardware tour. I am especially interested in screen sensitivity, how the accelerometer works and if it is configurable like on the Samsung Omnia and the software bundle. I just reinstalled SPB Mobile Shell to see how it would work for me. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Good point but as benjimen said an official press release mentioning 6.5 gives more credibility and they meet the specs adequately so I am hopeful they will follow through.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
I don't think the manufacturer would issue a press release promoting unofficial OS upgradeability -- do you honestly think that's what they're doing?
What do you mean with "unofficial OS upgradeability"? HTC clearly stated that WM 6.5 will be provided to buyers of the Touch Pro II and the Diamond II.
Nowadays, with WM 6.5 around the corner I would not spend $500/600 to buy a phone without assurance that once WM 6.5 will be available the manifacturer will be make the OS available to me.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
May I ask if you can post a quick impressions review when you receive it? The indepth review can wait but I think a brief overview of its features would be welcome, sort of like an unboxing and hardware tour. I am especially interested in screen sensitivity, how the accelerometer works and if it is configurable like on the Samsung Omnia and the software bundle. I just reinstalled SPB Mobile Shell to see how it would work for me. Thank you.
Sure, I'll talk to the 'boss' and see what we can do. Hopefully, it will arrive early next week, and while I don't have the technology to do an unboxing video, I can certainly post some unboxing pics and initial impressions, etc.