Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default PDA-247 Reviews The HTC Touch Pro 2

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/20...st-impressions/

"It is very easy when you have reviewed many HTC devices to get battle weary and to just look at each one as a slight variation on the previous models, and this is true of many of them. The Touch Pro2 does feel like a Touch HD squeezed into a TyTN II and this is most definitely a good thing...It is a power users dream, but one which will also suit people who need to keep in contact throughout the day and thus it covers many of the areas power users want in a smartphone. It does not have the finesse of an iPhone, but then again nothing does. It does, however, offer top of the range features in almost every area."

Shaun McGill at PDA-247 takes the Touch Pro 2 on and largely likes what he sees. The spiritual successor to the TyTN 2 offers a 3.6" WVGA screen, GPS, quadband GSM and dualband 3G, HSPA, 3.2MP AF camera, and TV out. The review comes in three parts:

All in all, the Touch Pro 2 looks like a worthwhile addition to the HTC line-up, a nice evolution of a proven design.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Twain
Ponderer

This certainly looks like the phone to replace my aging Treo 700w! Pictures of this phone with Verizon labels have been making the rounds on the Internet. I'm wondering if by the time Verizon releases this phone, whether or not it will have Windows Mobile 6.5 rather than 6.1. Anybody have any thoughts?

Also, I'm hoping that Verizon will sell the phone with the full amount of RAM (288 MB), an unlocked GPS and no other crippling done to it. Does anyone know if Microsoft is moving away from using the IR port on phones? Of the many reviews of the European version of this phone, no one has pointed out the IR port.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain View Post
This certainly looks like the phone to replace my aging Treo 700w! Pictures of this phone with Verizon labels have been making the rounds on the Internet. I'm wondering if by the time Verizon releases this phone, whether or not it will have Windows Mobile 6.5 rather than 6.1. Anybody have any thoughts?

Also, I'm hoping that Verizon will sell the phone with the full amount of RAM (288 MB), an unlocked GPS and no other crippling done to it. Does anyone know if Microsoft is moving away from using the IR port on phones? Of the many reviews of the European version of this phone, no one has pointed out the IR port.
I have a Touch Pro and it is good, not great but good indeed; granted it runs a 6.5 cooked ROM and no Touch Flo so it not too slow.
What I do not like of the Touch Pro 2 is the processor; I would have hoped for something more powerful and this is the reason I am trying to wait for the Toshiba TG1.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:32 PM
starstreak
Ponderer

1) Does it come with MS Voice Command? If yes, can you enable announce incoming caller, and if it works, can you actually use the BT headset? My TPro can say incoming caller, but my headset mutes the caller but they can hear me. If I transfer to my handset, it works.

2) Does the GPS work? Or does it have that same bad lag that the TPro has? Where, you're like 3-5 seconds behind of where you actually are on the road?