Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Put The Pieces Together

So, anyone looked at the video of the Zune HD in action? Anyone looked at what we think the GPU powering that experience is? Anyone compared that with the rumours about the Chassis 1 design for Windows Mobile 7 smartphones? Anyone want to connect the dots? I'm just throwing that out there for you to ponder this weekend...

Old 05-30-2009, 02:04 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I thought about what WM& will be, and... all it a speculations BUT... I think WM will be just a scaled down version of Windows 7 desktop with some tweaks to UI to adjust to smaller screen size. We have much more powerful requirements for hardware, powerful enough to run XP I think. dew weeks ago some hot shot from ARM research said that Windows 7 will run on ARM proccesor, altough he change his statement soon enough, but he let cat out off the bag anyway, whole orientation of Windows 7 towards touch screen UI, and at last identical OS's names - Windows 7, the difference is one called mobile, another Basic, Business, Ultimate and who knows what else.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I'll take a stab at it.
With the Zune HD, Windows Mobile 7 has arrived. We've at a number of times said MS should start from the ground up. Well here it is. Streamlined. But rather than adding all the legacy WM bulk they streamlined it with the purpose of complementing the rest with services (Live?) and a robust app store.

Some theorize that WM6.5 was released because MS was trying to push out a band-aid. Well here's another take. The only reason why MS released 6.5 is so that partners can get another generation of devices without having to re-tool. And the licenses may also help supplement the expense of the WM 7 (Zune HD) R&D.

Okay... theory mode off.

Update 06/02/2009: One more thought... The inclusion of the browser will also open up the platform to Widgets, as mentioned in the WM 6.5 update.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Last edited by Phillip Dyson; 06-03-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
...a number of times said MS should start from the ground up. Well here it is...
This is exactly what everybody was saying as WM5 came out.

"We've started from the ground up..."
"It's an entirely new OS, not just a patch..."
"Everything is so different from previous releases, because we had to re-do almost everything..."

QUICK...! Are these comments referring to WM5 or WM7?

Don't get me wrong. I still love Microsoft and its products and think WM is -- by and large -- still the best game in town. But since 2000, I've also learned that nobody at Microsoft has ever made the mistake of overestimating customer expectations and needs or the mistake of delivering a product/service too early.

However WM7 ultimately looks, feels, works and tastes, it's not going to be anything we expected (or maybe even wanted).

Still, keeping my fingers crossed.