Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Nikon D400 Rumours Continue

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/05/21/a...om-germany.aspx

The rumours about the forthcoming Nikon D400 continue to surface, this time from a Nikon Solutions show held in Germany last week. These rumours about the D400 have been bubbling up for months, and some of them are downright ludicrous. The rumours this time around are a bit more down to earth: the sensor will be based on the new EXPEED II engine, be a DX sensor in the 16 to 18 megapixel range, and do 1080p HD video capture at 24fps. It also mentions a tilt display, similar to the D5000. The D300 has a 12.3 megapixel sensor, so it wouldn't be unheard of for it to jump to 16 megapixels, though I think 18 is stretching it. I'd personally be happy with zero increase in resolution - 12 megapixels is a lot to work with as it is. Some people believe the D400 will be an FX sensor (full frame), but I doubt Nikon wants to make a compeditor for their own D700. The D400, as a successor to the popular D300, will continue the prosumer line and with Nikon's recent investment in DX-format lenses (such as the 35mm f/2.8) I see Nikon continuing that trend. I really like the look of HD video shot on a DSLR - the depth of field is gorgeous - so that's my main reason for wanting a D400. I'm hoping that the D400 will be the first DSLR to offer true auto-focus while shooting video, but that may be too much to hope for at this stage. Lastly, as for when it's coming out, it's anyone's guess - but with the D300 having been released in August of 2007, I'd say sometime in the summer months would be a good bet for when we might see the D400.