Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Mobile Community Advice Question

I'm a big believer in the wisdom of crowds - well, except when they're angry and carrying pitchforks and/or torches - so I wanted to put this question that I received to the community at large:

"Hi, Jason, I've had my T-Mobile MDA for 3 yrs., the logest I have ever had a PDA. I once was sold on the HTC TyTN II and the Xperia X1, but reading users' comments about cracking and being discontinued, I just don't know where to head. I looked over the T-Mobile G1, loved the sleek design, touch-screen,etc. but I am afraid I'd lose too much with the Android OS. I have Bibles and ebooks I read from daily. I am currently on weight watchers and found a perfect Point Calculator. I'm afraid I'd lose all my apps like that, not to mention Wor, Excel and Power Point. Here is what I am looking for 400 Mhz, 256 MB, GPS (would really like voice navigation.) Does any such animal exist? What, in your opinion, is the best out there today."

Weigh in with your opinions Pocket PC Thoughts readers! What would you suggest for this person?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:02 AM
compboss17
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
<p>I'm a big believer in the wisdom of crowds - well, except when they're angry and carrying pitchforks and/or torches - so I wanted to put this question that I received to the community at large:
Get an iPhone it has all of that (128 RAM for now but probably will have more with the new one): GPS with upcoming turn by turn directions support, 412 mhz processor, about a million weight watchers apps of different types, bibles and e-books galore (a lot of them either free or really inexpensive), and all different kinds of office (I recommend Quickoffice) apps with built in support for reading of pretty much any file you could possibly want.

BTW, I used to have the Tytn 1 for almost a year.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:47 AM
JamesM
Ponderer

I know it doesn't qualify as "today", but maybe he should wait until July 22 for the Touch Pro 2 from T-Mobile. It's the closest, form factor-wise to his MDA. I wouldn't buy a Wing at this point, as it's long in the tooth and about to give way to the TP2.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 AM
nosmohtac
Sage

I think the wing has already been pulled from T-Mobile's site.

I would also recommend waiting for the TP2. It is just around the corner and will be able to do everything they do with their MDA and more.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 AM
hummingbirdhill
Ponderer

Hmmmm . . . the HTC Fuze is a classic . . . :-)

Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 AM
heliod
Intellectual

I don't know where this guy is and if it is available at this area, but I would also recommend a GOOD look at the Samsung Omnia. Despite some little things that I would like to be better, this is the best device I have ever held.

Helio

Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Funny that Arne and you (you'll always be the Bluetooth twins in my memory...) are both that enthousiastic about the Samsung Omnia. It looks like an excellent phone, but after having been spoiled by two Treo's and a Samsung i780 in a row, I'd have a hard time adopting to life without a front facing QWERTY keyboard. My core business on the device are calendar (SBSH Calendar Touch), contacts, e-mail, messaging, (all standard apps), RSS feeds (SPB Insight, since it allows me to download the photos of photoblogs using my wireless network at home), webbrowsing (Opera 9.5 beta), Twitter (PockeTwit), Facebook (MS app), GPS (McGuider 2009), Picture viewing (Samsung app). With 320x320, I'd like a bigger screen (the Omnia 240x400 sounds better to be), but it's just manageable on the device. Other than that, the device suits me well. I haven't had the need to use the included second battery after a day of usage. At the moment, the i780 is only EUR 279 without a contract, which is a bit of a steal. I was looking into newer devices, but I'm thinking really hard to buy a spare i780 for when my current one breaks.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Lord_Zelo
Pupil

If I were this guy I would consider the HTC Touch HD. It's a very stable and popular device and I'm sure the screen size (3.8" 480x800) would be a nice upgrade from what he is used to. He would still be able to use the apps that he has obviously invested time and money into. As far as GPS goes the Touch HD has is but he would need an application that utilizes it. Personally I use TomTom Navigator, which I think is great, plus the voice navigation works both in the dumb US measurement system (where I am) as well as the nice Metric system. Another nice feature is it has a 3.5mm audio jack instead of the dumb mini USB jack that HTC has implemented as of late. It also has a 5 MP camera.

The Touch HD is quad band, but not compatible with 3G in the US at the moment(I've heard a US 3G version is possibly in the works, correct me if I'm wrong though).

Anyway, that would be my choice since he mentioned he does a lot of reading, having a good screen makes a big difference since I do a lot of reading on my device as well.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I had the MDA on T-Mobile at one time and switched it out for the Tilt (TyTN II) unlocked, and then now, an unlocked Fuze (HTC Touch Pro). I will upgrade to the Touch Pro 2 once I can get it. If I were still using my MDA, I would definately wait until July and get the TP2 at that time.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM
moriahcom
Pupil
Default TMobile MDA

I also have had my MDA for about 3 years. I have also tested many other devices and seem to go back to the MDA. I'm waiting for the Touch Pro 2. Why? When I go to buy a new shirt I end up looking at shirts just like the one I have on. I think he should also wait for the TP2 which has a similar form factor. The data plan is inexpensive and I'm sure Tmo will leave the GPS open.