Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Rumoured Windows Mobile 7 Chassis 1 Specifications Leaked

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2752

"While rumors about what is/isn't part of the next Zunes and "Pink" phones swirl, I figured I'd add a few more tidbits that I've been hoarding. First up: A list of what may or may not be the final specs for the Windows Mobile 7 Chassis 1. Chassis 1 seems to be the the heart of the rumored "Pink" Microsoft phone and possibly other Windows Mobile 7 phones made by Microsoft partners."

Ah Microsoft - you just can't not leak company secrets, can you? There's not a lot I can say about this (NDA stuff), but after the break there's the full breakdown of what is called the "WM7 Chassis 1 Specification". This is all rumour and speculation remember, but as you look at the specs I think you'll agree there's a certain ring of truth to it. I know one thing's for sure: if someone creates a device with these specifications, I want one!

Core requirements

Processor: ARM v6+, L2 Cache, VFP, Open GL ES 2.0 graphics HW (QCOM 8k, Nvidia AP15/16 and TI 3430 all meet spec)

Memory: 256MB+ DRAM, 1G+ Flash (at least 512MB fast flash - 5MB/s unbuffered read @4K block size)

Display: WVGA (800×480) or FWVGA (854×480) 3.5" or greater diagonal

Touch: Multi-touch required

Battery: Sufficient to meet Days of Use LTK requirements.

Controls: Start, Back, Send and End are required (soft controls allowed as long as they are always present).

Peripherals

Camera: 3MP+, flash optional, 2nd camera optional (VGA resolution sufficient)

GPS: aGPS required

Sensors required: Light Sensor, Compass (3 axis, 5 degrees, 100 Hz sample rate), Accelerometer (3 axis, 2mg resolution, 100 Hz sample rate)

USB: High speed required, 20 MB/s transfer rate.

BlueTooth: BT2.1 required, must run MSFT BT stack, CSR BlueCore6 or later recommended.

Wi-Fi: 802.11B/G required, must run MSFT Native Wi-Fi stack, Atheros 6002 or Broadcomm 4325 recommended.

Connectors: Micro USB and 3.5mm Audio required.

Options

FM tuner: If tuner HW is present it will be detected and supported by the Media application.

Haptics

SD Card (Micro SD recommended)

DPAD, qwerty or 12/20 key keyboards all optional

Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Sedwo
Pupil
Default Capacitive screen?

No mention of a capacitive screen though.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

This is pretty exciting news - finally some cutting edge hardware! Now, if the programmers can carefully use those resources and make a "fast" feeling device we'll have a winner.

I also sense that possible Windows Media Player is dead - this one phrase caught my eye:

If tuner HW is present it will be detected and supported by the Media application.

Media application? Hmmmm is that a nice way of saying Zune?

I think the next year is going to be very exciting for the Windows Mobile platform, and if there is any truth to the rumors of some sort of partnership with Verizon, I'll be happier, since I've been a loyal VZW customer for at least 15 years. Let the rumor run at full speed, PLEASE.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Down8
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Down8 Send a message via AIM to Down8 Send a message via MSN to Down8 Send a message via Yahoo to Down8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedwo View Post
No mention of a capacitive screen though.
Though it is implied by the "multitouch" requirement.

I'm interested in moving to a TP2 at some point, so hopefully this would be WMo7 upgradeable....

-bZj

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Twain
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Anderson View Post
I think the next year is going to be very exciting for the Windows Mobile platform, and if there is any truth to the rumors of some sort of partnership with Verizon, I'll be happier, since I've been a loyal VZW customer for at least 15 years.
Do you have any sources (URLs, etc.) for these "partnership" rumors? It's hard for me to believe Verizon is interested in Windows Mobile. Right now, all of their emphasis is on Blackberry hardware; they only offer a token lineup of WM phones. I'd like to buy a Touch Pro, but with Verizon crippling the phone by cutting back on the RAM to useless levels and locking down the GPS, etc., I'm just not interested. So, I'm contemplating a switch to Sprint in the fall to be able to get a HTC Touch Pro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and all the bells and whistles...

Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Rahza
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain View Post
Do you have any sources (URLs, etc.) for these "partnership" rumors? It's hard for me to believe Verizon is interested in Windows Mobile. Right now, all of their emphasis is on Blackberry hardware; they only offer a token lineup of WM phones. I'd like to buy a Touch Pro, but with Verizon crippling the phone by cutting back on the RAM to useless levels and locking down the GPS, etc., I'm just not interested. So, I'm contemplating a switch to Sprint in the fall to be able to get a HTC Touch Pro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and all the bells and whistles...
Not a too big deal. Just reflash your ROM with a custom one from xda-dev! Viola; all Verizon limitations removed!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Stinger
Thinker

3.5mm headphone socket!