Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Mobile Facebook Application Released by Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...s/facebook.mspx

"New from Windows Mobile: a Facebook application for your phone! Download the new Facebook application for Windows Mobile and: Send messages to any of the people in your Friends list; Take pictures and videos on your phone, then upload them right to Facebook; Send messages or call people in your Friends list; Manage your profile and post anytime, anywhere. Keep up with the latest news and posts with Facebook on your phone. Now your status updates can be up-to-the moment accounts of what you're doing. Photos and videos are about as close to live-action as you can get. Show your friends what you're up to, while you're out and about. Connecting and sharing on Facebook just got a lot livelier!"

In typical fashion, this had been leaked elsewhere previously, but now it's official: the release version of the software is public and available for immediate download. What I find most interesting about this is that it's a Facebook application developed and released by Microsoft. On the iPhone, Facebook developed their own app for it. On Windows Mobile, Microsoft had to do it. That doesn't say much for what Facebook thinks of the Windows Mobile platform, now does it? Looks like RIM developed their own app for the Blackberry though, so this isn't without precedent. Guess the people at Facebook just love their iPhones.

The app will work on all Windows Mobile 6 and 6.1 smartphones, both Professional and Standard - sorry all you Windows Mobile 5 owners. You can grab a mobile download here if you wish. I haven't taken it for a spin yet, but will shortly. Let me know what you think of it!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

They didn't even create an installer for it? That's pretty unimpressive.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

What I downloaded was a normal CAB file which installed as any normal app would. Annoyingly, it had to reset the device to complete installation. I'm not sure if I'll keep this around or not. I don't do anything with photos or video on Facebook, so the mobile version of the Facebook site is generally more than sufficient.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Nice!

I've tried a few different facebook apps on the pocket pc. I like this much better than any of the others. I don't like using the mobile facebook web site. I think it's slow and a pain to work with on the pocket pc. I'll be keeping this app!

btw...It didn't make my device reboot after the install.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

On my Treo Pro's 320x320 display, the UI of this app consumes essentially half the screen, leaving very little space for actual content. If I had a larger screen, I might use this, but a full screen browser window is just more usable for me on this phone.

I had IE, Kinoma Play, Calendar, and a couple other apps running at the time, so it's entirely possible that was the cause for the restart.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beauvais View Post
On my Treo Pro's 320x320 display, the UI of this app consumes essentially half the screen, leaving very little space for actual content. If I had a larger screen, I might use this, but a full screen browser window is just more usable for me on this phone.
I can see what you mean. I'm using 480x640 resolution. I guess I'll recommend it for vga devices

Old 05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
questionfear
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beauvais View Post

I had IE, Kinoma Play, Calendar, and a couple other apps running at the time, so it's entirely possible that was the cause for the restart.
The UI seems fine for me on my Epix...but I also have a redfly, so anytime I want a bigger screen it is a button press away.

Also, it didn't require a restart for me.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM
johnzurc
Neophyte

Downloaded the CAB file and tried installing it ... somehow, for this CAB installer, I get the message

"Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions."

I thought it was my phone so I tried reinstalling other CAB files... it all installed without any problem.

Google'd the message and I tried some fixes that includes modifying the registry but my phone (duo pro) doesn't let me modify that entries/values.

Can you guys suggest something here?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
the_rapture
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to the_rapture Send a message via MSN to the_rapture Send a message via Yahoo to the_rapture Send a message via Skype™ to the_rapture
Default Microsoft Get the picture

More and more phones are going finger, why are they putting out apps that still require a stick? Where's the swipes, if this was still early 2000's I would think it was a great app, but for today I'll give it an ok, but I have an Samsung Omnia and want apps that are at least finger friendly, but I had to pull out the stick to pock the screen....

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzurc View Post
"Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions."
Which phone are you using? The problem is that Microsoft, for some unknown/bizarre reason, didn't sign this app - and any phones with cranked up security settings won't let an un-signed app install. I've submitted a request for an official statement/plan of action from Microsoft, because it boggles my mind that they wouldn't have understood the implications of releasing an un-signed app...