Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Sumo Lounge's Omni: More Than Just a Beanbag

Sumo Lounge's Omni isn't just any old beanbag; rather, it's an A-grade beanbag, pillow, and chair. At 4.5 feet x 5.5 feet (1.37 meters x 1.68 meters) and 18 pounds (8.16 kilograms), it's certainly large and solid enough to accommodate two people comfortably, and, incidentally, make you and the courier break a sweat as you both try to fit this behemoth through the front door. But surely there's more to the Omni than its super-sized nature. What makes it stand out?

To kick things off, let's talk materials. Remember that old, velour/corduroy beanbag back in the day? The fabric would tear, and the beans would go flat after a month or so. Expect none of that with the Omni. It's made out of ballistic nylon, a smooth material that's easy to clean and resistant to abrasion and tearing. On the inside, there's virgin polystyrene foam. These are high-quality, high-density foam balls that will maintain their bounce for years to come. Long story short, the Omni will withstand anything you can throw at it. Well, almost anything - don't go shooting bullets at it.

Figure 1: A strong Velcro/zip closure keeps the foam balls in place.

I'll say it again: the Omni is more than just a beanbag. Sumo Lounge says there are ten (possibly more) ways to use the Omni, and they've even got the pictures and videos to prove it. The reality is, you'll probably only have a need for three or four of them, but it's that high versatility that makes the Omni stand out from the rest. My personal favorites are a comfortable pillow to sleep on (great for those Sunday naps), a one-person chair to slouch in (gamers, take note), and even a makeshift sofa for two (movie nights never looked better).

Figure 2: The fiery red Omni as a makeshift sofa for two.

At US$149, AU$199, or £99, the Omni isn't exactly as cheap as chips, but there's plenty of bang for buck to be had. It's built to last, and void of the physical and monetary costs associated with frequently refilling and replacing other cheaper, generic beanbags. Whether you're a gamer, laptop user, movie lover, or couch potato, this is one worthy investment for the living room. And with ten vibrant colours to choose from, you won't have a hard time finding one to match the surroundings. My only gripe (and, seriously, I'm really struggling to find one here)? It's too comfortable.

Darius Wey is a developer and designer, based in Perth, WA, Australia. He juggles news and reviews as News Editor at Thoughts Media Inc., and owns and operates Codesparq, a business specializing in mobile application development, and pixel-perfect web and graphic design. When he's not engaged in the aforementioned, he can usually be found immersing himself in technology, enjoying authentic green tea (yes, he's strangely addicted to it), or wasting hours at the beach, because summer never seems to end in the land down under.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
abeery
Pupil
Default I truly don't mean to be negative but...

I used to really enjoy PocketPC Thoughts because there was always a flood of news... but it has slowed to a slow dripple at the best of times and I find myself going to other sites... what does a beanbag have to do with technology?

Seriously... if you need more writers to submit content just ask... but one new post every couple of days (and off topic at that) is not a way to drive people to your site.

Again, I don't mean to be negative... I wish you only the best.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeery View Post
I used to really enjoy PocketPC Thoughts because there was always a flood of news... but it has slowed to a slow dripple at the best of times and I find myself going to other sites...
It's unfortunate you feel that way. Bear in mind that the folks behind Pocket PC Thoughts and the other Thoughts Media sites are volunteers; we post when we can, and we'll only post content we think our readers may be interested in.

Yes, news on Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts has been a little dry as of late, but bear in mind that the same can be said about Windows Mobile news in general. Windows Mobile 6.5 has yet to be publicly released, and new devices are few and far between. There have been a few developments on the Windows Marketplace for Mobile front, and we've posted on it. I honestly believe that there'll be a lot more to post and talk about as the months unfold.

Quote:
what does a beanbag have to do with technology?
You could present the same argument with our SeV reviews. Sure, these products may not necessarily run Windows or have flashing lights, but they do target the tech-literate crowd (click here to discover Sumo Lounge's prominence at tech/gaming conventions), which is a crowd the majority of our readers are a part of.

We publish such reviews because we believe that the product in question may be of interest to our readers. If the product in question is of little interest to you, feel free to ignore the review.

Quote:
Again, I don't mean to be negative... I wish you only the best.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
digiSal
Neophyte

i've had a sumo omni for years. i love it. i lay on it while reading books on my Touch Pro, and previous windows mobile phones, all the time.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 PM
code-frog
Intellectual

Darius,

I was about to post the same thing but in better spirits as the other reply. I was going to say that you could have made it a great review had you included the beanbag as a side-byte of a phone review or the Worldmate review.

You have helped me a few times in the past and Jason has been a surrogate godfather to my kids at times and I've deeply enjoyed my membership here. I think we all miss the daily flood of reviews that used to come through here. I am willing to volunteer to write articles and do reviews for sure as long as there is stuff to review.

I think we the readers just want to see this place bang the way it used too. But instead of only complain I think I'm going to write Jason and offer him my assistance as a technical reviewer if he wants it.

I love this place and honestly if I can help then I want to.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

Does this device use USB 1.1 or 2.0?

Looking forward to all of the WM 6.5 and 7 coverage that you guys will be so thoughtfully providing soon! Keep up to good work!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

We've got two of these (one in our game room and one in my office). They are outstanding. The materials and build quality are top notch. They are very functional as extra seating and make a functional guest bed when the need arises.

And very comfortable for sitting in while playing video games and watching movies.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by code-frog View Post
I love this place and honestly if I can help then I want to.
Thanks for the kind words, code-frog. I'm sure Jason would be happy to hear from you.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
I used to really enjoy PocketPC Thoughts because there was always a flood of news... but it has slowed to a slow dripple at the best of times and I find myself going to other sites... what does a beanbag have to do with technology?
First of all, this review is posted on Digital Home Thoughts and merely linked to PPCThoughts. As a review, it is entirely appropriate to post it on DHT. How directly-related to PPCs it is is merely a judgement call. Secondly, as Darius said, news has been slow of late and I'd rather see a marginally-related item reviewed than no post at all, wouldn't you?

Thanks for the review, Darius. I appreciate it.