Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Acer's Eight

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...ngapore-market/

"At a launch event today, Acer and C2O Corporation officially launched eight of these handsets in the Singapore market. Available now are the dual-SIM DX900 ($530 USD), the dual-faced DX650 ($397 USD) and the compact X960 ($463 USD). Expected in May but not yet priced are the F900 and the M900, and then coming later in 2009 are the F1, L1 and C1."

I'm not sure about the marketing angle of this - surely launching 8 models at once isn't exactly calculated to keep your brand staying very long in the consumer awareness. This is especially true since the timing is horrible as Singapore's economy has been among the worst hit in the region from the global downturn. Or maybe that's the whole idea - create a huge splash while everybody else cuts marketing budgets. In any case, Acer's eight models cover the gamut from entry level (two of which we covered here) to the top-end M900 and F900 (due in May). Specs on these are known (hit the link for the rundown), but not for the yet-to-be-available F1, L1 and C1. The F1 is also slated to be high-end, with a rumoured 5MP camera, Qualcomm's Snapdragon chipset running at 800MHz and ATI graphics, while the L1 and C1 are reputed to be budget phones. Credit to TechieLobang for covering the event and taking lots of pics!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:31 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I think it's fantastic that we may finally have a true competitor to HTC in the Windows Mobile space.

Most of these devices are Tri-Band 3.5G, so they'll function on AT&T in the US, something HTC has certainly been ignoring lately. -- Touch HD, no US 3G bands - Touch Diamond2 - no US 3G bands, but rumored to be coming, let's see... Touch Diamond Pro2 - TMobile or Asia/Europe only. HTC has stuck us with tiny 2.8" VGA screens, meaning for all intents & purposes if you wanted a decent sized, hi-rez screen with 3G in the US you had to go with an iPhone or Blackberry.

I can't wait to try one of the higher end Acer devices.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Too many

I think 8 is too many. I think it would be wise to concentrate on one high end and one low end or something like that.

I'm glad to see more WinMo devices on the way regardless tough.

I have a 2.8" vga device and while it is a little too small for vga it's far better than what the iPhone offers in my opinion (320x480). It's mainly not good for touch input. There are some cases where I need to use fonts that are one size larger to read them than I did on my Toshiba e830 which had a 4" 480x640 screen.