Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Spb Mobile Shell 3.0 Adds Widgets, Facebook Support, 3D Carousel

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/poc...re/mobileshell/

"Spb Software, a leading maker of mobile software, releases Spb Mobile Shell 3.0, the next-generation user interface for Windows phones. According to Handango Yardstick, Spb Mobile Shell was the world's number one bestselling application of 2008 among all mobile platforms. Spb Mobile Shell 3.0 accounts for two different smartphone use scenarios: at work and at play. The application offers distinctive 'professional' and 'lifestyle' desktops, integration of picture contacts with Facebook, account-sensitive email indicators, handsome time and weather screens, widgets, responsive kinetic scrolling, signature 3D animation engine, and other appealing assets that change the way a Windows phone is used altogether."

Spb Software has released v3.0 of its ever-popular UI for Windows Mobile, and it adds some impressive features such as widgets, Facebook integration, a 3D carousel with hardware acceleration support, and Professional and Lifestyle home screens. Interested in trying or buying? Head over to our affiliate software store. If you're a registered user of v2.x, the upgrade is available at a discounted price of $14.95, or free if you purchased it within the last 90 days.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I just installed the demo and I have to say ... my goodness!
The is a great looking app. They put some serious muscle behind this upgraded from 2.x

I looks great and doesn't feel as gimmicky as some of the things in TouchFlo 3D.

My only concern as with all of the UI skins is third party app integration. I use PocketInformant and am hoping there is a way to get Mobile Shell to launch it rather than the standard calendar app. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere.

Since I'm commenting on settings I am having a hard time figuring out where they all are for shell. It seems to context based, but I'm not sure. Admittedly I've only spend 10 minutes with it.

If I can get it to recognize PI, I might put my money down today.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Frankie1
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
I just installed the demo and I have to say ... my goodness! The is a great looking app. They put some serious muscle behind this upgraded from 2.x
***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

I'm going to have to disagree with you
I installed it with high hopes (on my touch HD), I was impressed by the animation and that was about it. I thought the UI was horribly thought out, or maybe I'm just a function over form kind of guy.

I wasn't flattered by the Andoid like screen paning of the non-business view. I can tell they definitely put a lot of work into it, but UI just seems scattered and incosistent. I'll give it another try though.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Djblois
Pupil

I agree, they went much more for Form with MS 3.0. They forgot function for the most part. They really do not like integration with third party apps. That is the worst part about it. It was one of the most requested features and they don't care.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:42 AM
TTown
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
My only concern as with all of the UI skins is third party app integration. I use PocketInformant and am hoping there is a way to get Mobile Shell to launch it rather than the standard calendar app. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere.
This would be important to me as well. If anyone knows how to make it point to PI, please post!

Thanks

Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 AM
superrrguy
Ponderer

I don't think this is much of an improvement over 2.x. Also, there are so many great custom skins out there for 2.x.

Good
*I like the new Professional layout.

*I think I like that lists are scrollable now instead of tapping next, next, next.

*I like that you can make contact photos on the favorite contacts page larger and smaller.

*The Facebook think is kind of neat but it's easier to just do this on the desktop if you sync your gmail contacts.

Bad
*I don't like that this takes over the Today screen. In 2.x you can hit the ok button to get back to the Today screen. Now you need to tap the right button, then tap "Show Today". Maybe if you could add items from the today screen as widgets in Mobile Shell, it would be ok.

*Adding widgets is a pain. They don't really snap well into place and overlap easily. You kind of need to pull out the stylus to get it just right.

*I'm not sure if the carousel is a good way for finding and choose screens or contacts or anything.

*I didn't see a way to add apps to the SPB Menu launcher. With 2.x I could add a bunch of "Internet" apps in the internet category; "Media" apps in the Media category, and so on.

Ugly
*Unlock still only uses the WinMo lock which is awful. S2U2 ftw.

*Call log does not integrate in WinMo nor the Phone Suite Call Log.

*I still don't get why dialing a contact requires extra taps. Tap contact > tap which # to dial. Let me just save which # for the contact is my favorite. Put a little icon in the bottom left of the contact photo so I know which # it is like you guys have for your Photo Suite app. Now it's one tap.

*Selecting a Phone Profile is also an extra tap. Tap profile > tap select. Get rid of the extra tap. Why is "edit" so close to "select" anyway? Get rid of the extra tap!

I cannot stress how annoying extra taps are on a screen that's unresponsive to begin with. An extra tap is sometimes 3 extra taps because of misfires or whatever the hell WinMo is doing that it can't register a tap.

I don't think it's worth upgrading from 2.x especially if you have it skinned.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 AM
njl2016
Ponderer

I have never used Spb Mobile Shell before and I just installed it an hour ago. It is the best thing since sliced bread. This piece of software has made my love my iPAQ again.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
nosmohtac
Sage

I love SPB software, and this is a pretty well thought out piece of software.
With that I have to say that I wanted to like this program, but the amount of time it takes to switch from portrait to landscape is a deal breaker.

It may be because I'm running a WM6.5 custom ROM on my Touch Pro, but before installing SPB MS 3.0 my screen was rotating almost instantly when sliding out the keyboard. With MS3.0 it takes 3 to 4 seconds which is totally unacceptable. Nice work SPB, I'll wait for an update that fixes that.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTown View Post
This would be important to me as well. If anyone knows how to make it point to PI, please post!

Thanks
I came across this post on the SPB Club site.
http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7794

It doesn't cover every entry point, but its a really good start.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrrguy View Post
*I don't like that this takes over the Today screen. In 2.x you can hit the ok button to get back to the Today screen. Now you need to tap the right button, then tap "Show Today". Maybe if you could add items from the today screen as widgets in Mobile Shell, it would be ok.
I actually completely emptied out my Today screen. There are not plugins active. I can't think of a reason for me to go back there. Granted that's based on my list of plugins.

To me an extra click is fine with me. I consider the Today screen to be just another view. I think its great that I can quickly get between them.

Two nits that I have about Shell 3.0 are:
1. I dont see any way to get the current tempurate.
2. I wish there was a task view.

This may a reason for me to keep PocketBreeze active in my Today screen.

Boy, there was a time when SPB and SBSH were in competition blow for blow, but with Mobile Shell, SPB seems to have taken a turn a completely different direction. I still prefer SBSH's customer service and hope they've got some stuff up their sleeves.