Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default What's Missing in Windows Mobile?

Last week a reader e-mailed me to ask a few specific questions about one of my previous articles. Amid a few comments about switching from Windows Mobile to other platforms, the pitfalls and the advantages, he asked  about a feature I'd never really thought about. He wanted to know if there was a way to edit the call log on a Windows phone. Specifically, could he delete missed calls while still retaining calls he wanted in the log. I did a bit of digging and found a few demo applications that could dump the call log records into a database (from which you could edit them, however the original logs on the phone would remain unaffected), and a few suggestions on how to read the database off the phone (Which were way more useful for a developer than an end-user), but no one seemed to have any idea or simple program that would edit the logs directly (If someone knows of one, please share!).

This simple feature isn't something I think is planned for the future of Windows Mobile, and perhaps not something everyone would need. But then again, there are many features of my device I don't particularly need, but would be nice to have. Many of us install third-party applications in order to get these features, but perhaps it would be a good idea to start a 2009 edition list of the "missing" components to Windows Mobile. What feature, ability, or tweak would you make if you had the ear of the Windows Mobile development team?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

An excellent question.

1. Two category filtering for device to desktop syncing. I've been lamenting this ever since Intellisync announced an end of life. I use this feature to keep my personal items out of my work calendar, tasks, and contacts.

2. The ability to categorize and filter my email. This is a feature that came up lately. Mostly I think out of Gmail envy.

3. Other usual suspects mentioned a million times before:
  • Easier OS updates
  • Better Memory management
  • Better multimedia experience
  • etc...

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
andyb
Pupil

Profiles...

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM
frazell
Neophyte

Maybe it is an addon done by HTC, but my Call History application on my HTC Touch Pro allows me to delete calls one by one or all at once...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Gakubuchi
Neophyte

My HTC TyTN is able to delete call history one-by-one or all. Maybe, like frazell says, it's an HTC addition...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Jon Westfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
Profiles...
Not just profiles - actual extensively configurable profiles. One feature I've loved for years is the ability to mute my phone based on categories on a calendar item. PhoneAlarm can do it, as can a few others - but it seems like some profile writers just ignore it. I have a professional device, let me configure it with something better than just "All appointments cause a mute".

Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Jon Westfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
Maybe it is an addon done by HTC, but my Call History application on my HTC Touch Pro allows me to delete calls one by one or all at once...
Yea, I believe this is a part of HTC's value-added applications. Still, I'm surprised there isn't a third-party tool for it (or maybe there is one that's buried the option in a tweak menu or something).

Jon.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Stinger
Thinker

USB mass storage mode as standard. I know it's in some phones but it's missing from others in WinMo 6.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
davebwi
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
Yea, I believe this is a part of HTC's value-added applications. Still, I'm surprised there isn't a third-party tool for it (or maybe there is one that's buried the option in a tweak menu or something).

Jon.
Yes Profiles Microsoft...Profiles

Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post

Jon.
I have that option on my Samsung Omnia with the native Windows Mobile dialer. I can filter missed, outgoing or incoming calls, delete individual calls or all calls.