Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 Reviewed

http://www.photographyblog.com/revi...dmc_tz7_review/

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 (also known as the DMC-ZS3 in the USA) is a brand new ultra-compact super-zoom camera, offering several major improvements on its predecessor, the popular TZ5 model. There's now a 12x, 25-300mm optical zoom lens, both wider and longer than the TZ5's, the megapixel count has increased from 9 to 10, the Venus IV Engine processing engine promises enhanced responsiveness, and the 720p HD video mode is recorded in the new AVCHD Lite format which almost doubles the recording time."

I have the previous generation of this camera, the DMC-TZ5, and it's a nice little unit - well, not so little actually. That's one of my main gripes - it's much harder to fit into my pocket than my other point and shoot camera, a Canon Powerhsot SD870. But with the 10x optical zoom and 720p video, I can forgive the Panasonic camera for being a little bulky. The successor to my DMC-TZ5 is this new DMC-TZ7. Zoom is boosted to 12x, it's 3mm wider, there's that new AVCHD Lite for video, and it has stereo microphones - even a wind-cut function to block wind noise. Nice!

With a son on the way, suddenly I have a lot more to think about when it comes to capturing all the precious moments I know are going to happen. I'm pondering whether or not the TZ7 (which is actually the ZS3 in North America - I know, so confusing) is a worthy upgrade over what I have now. Does it offer enough improvements to warrant replacing what I have now? The ZS3 comes in red, which is simply awesome (I love red gadgets!), but I'm wondering if I'd get more milage out of getting one of their new rugged cameras (the DMC-TS1D) instead. Thoughts? Opinions? I guess I'd better read this review first...