Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Win a Registration Key to Microsoft's My Phone Beta!

http://myphone.microsoft.com/

Good news everyone! Yours truly has come into possession of two registration keys for Microsoft's My Phone Beta program! Since I'm such a nice guy I thought the best thing to do would be to give them away to our readers! For those of you that are unaware - "Microsoft My Phone syncs information between your mobile phone and the web..." - Basically it can best be described as a very simple and easy to use cloud syncing solution for Windows Mobile handsets. Exchange services for the rest of us!To qualify to win one of these two never before used registration codes, all you have to do is post a reply telling us about a time when data syncing has failed you miserably. It can be anything; like having your phone stolen and not backing up your contacts or getting the phone number of an attractive member of the opposite sex seconds before your waiter spills a cup of water on your Samsung Blackjack... Whatever you can think of!The contest will be going on now until Sunday April 12th, 2009 at 11:59PM PST, at which time I will go through and randomly select two entrants to be announced Monday April 13th, 2009. As I mentioned before the winners will be selected randomly so unfortunately bribing me with cookies will do you no good - but you are more than welcomed to try!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
hotdram
Theorist

My syncing fails me everytime I try to sync my phone
AS4.5 on XP with 2 PC's and WM6.1 is still not painless
Worst case happened to me though when my phone fell off my nightstand into the glass of water on the floor next to my bed. Couldn't have been a more perfect shot into such a small target. Wish I would have had everything backed up then

Cookies on the way,
~Rob

Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default No Easy Syncy

I can remember syncing either my Nino 325 or my Cassiopeia E125 to my laptop at the time, a Toshiba Satelite, via the ir port. I actually did this often and it worked well. The thing that was a pain was for some reason I was in a car trying to get it to sync. I don't remember what vehical it was, where we were, or who was driving but I just remember it was bumpy and I couldn't keep the ir ports alligned correctly. The connect/dissconnect sounds, on the laptop and the PPC, were driving me nuts. I think I was trying to establish a connection to transfer a file and I think it eventually did work but I just remember it was a pain.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

It failed me miserably when the connector on the bottom of my phone broke, and I didn't have bluetooth capability on my PC. It would charge, but Activesync would not work.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 AM
DocSc00teR
Neophyte

True story. I spent over 40 minutes on the phone with a technician regarding data that wasn't syncing... only to discover that I had knocked the sync cable loose in the back of the PC. *sigh*

Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

ya know, if your WM is one language and your PC activesync is another, you lose locale specific fields when u sync!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 AM
sweb3028
Pupil

During a routine wipe (completed every few months), I somehow selected the option for the PPC to overwrite the PC. It wiped out all of the contacts on the PC.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 AM
nosmohtac
Sage

I used to use Activesync to sync all of my contacts, but I started flashing with custom ROMs and when I'd sync back up it would always make duplicate appointments and contacts. It was extremely frustrating.

I since have started to use pim backup, but after I flash with a new ROM, I often forget to set the backup schedule and then miss out on new numbers that I've entered since my last flash.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 AM
code-frog
Intellectual
Default It failed me miserably...

When I forgot to sync before wiping my phone. A sync is brilliant when you remember to do it. So is that sync's fault (did it fail me) or is that my fault (did I fail myself)? Who cares just give me the darned key.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:53 AM
rookcnu
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to rookcnu Send a message via Skype™ to rookcnu

My worst syncing story?

Well,... anytime I try to sync. Gotta love Activesync. Never fails to give me problems.

Please tell me My Phone will be better at,... syncing.