Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC Will Be Offering a Windows Mobile 6.5 Upgrade, For Free, On the Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2

I just received word back from an HTC representative that they are indeed going to be offering a free upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5 on both their Touch Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2:

"What I can say on the matter is that HTC has committed to offer a free upgrade from Windows Mobile 6.1 to Windows Mobile 6.5 for both the Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2. I don't have details on timing by carrier or region - just that we will be offering the upgrade for free."

This fact had been assumed by some people, but every written comment I could find simply stated that these two phones were "upgradeable" to 6.5. As we all know, being technically upgradeable means nothing in this market - only a public comittment to actually do the upgrade is what matters. Now that HTC has made this comittment, you can go ahead with your Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 purchases from our affiliate store. ;-)

Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Thanks Jason; I am going to cancel... the order cancellation.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I would probably pull the trigger if they had US 3G.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
I would probably pull the trigger if they had US 3G.
Yeah, hopefully that's coming soon..

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

I didn't see TYTN or Tilt mentioned...bummer.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
I didn't see TYTN or Tilt mentioned...bummer.
No, it's only for this brand new hardware...which sucks, but shouldn't be a surprise at all.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

I'm glad HTC has come out and made public what they intend to support via hardware upgrades. Now - the real question will be - what carriers will offer it?

Carriers are the ones that have to field the "I bricked my phone during upgrade" calls and all the other support issues caused by re-flashing the ROM so I won't be surprised if they "pass" or take months to release the upgrade (hey, maybe people will see the 6.5 upgrade about a month before the 7 system is release LOL.)

Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Master Loon
Pupil

I am hoping it will come to Tmobile. I have and like android,but the promise of WM6.5 is inticing not to mention I think the Pro 2 is as sexy as a phone can come.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Anderson View Post
Carriers are the ones that have to field the "I bricked my phone during upgrade" calls and all the other support issues caused by re-flashing the ROM so I won't be surprised if they "pass" or take months to release the upgrade (hey, maybe people will see the 6.5 upgrade about a month before the 7 system is release LOL.)
I know exactly what you mean. I'm still waiting for th 6.1 upgrade for my wife's phone on Telus.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 AM
azhiker
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to azhiker
Default All the HTC goodness but not wth AT&T

Everything I read so far does not indicate the Touch Pro 2 will come to ATT at least not for a long time. What a shame!!! My Pocket PC died just last week and my cell phone is ancient. Since T-Mobile is getting the new touch pro and my AT&T contract is over I guess I may switch. However, the 3G network of ATT may keep me waiting a bit longer. Any advice?