Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 04-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iZel Universal Device Stand

http://www.myizel.com/

"The iZel is a totally unique and innovative way to support your device for hands free use. Its remarkable design supports a wide range of the world's most popular devices. It has a clever method for adapting its shape to landscape or portrait orientations and it is easily adjusted to position your screen for the optimal viewing angle. Best of all, it folds flat and travels easily. The iZel's durable construction is made possible by using a sophisticated slip-resistant elastomer that helps to keep your device in its place and looking new. Use the iZel when you want to watch a video, make a hands-free call, monitor your email, surf the web, or to simply use your device as a digital picture frame."

This is certainly one way to go about things, but it seems a bit larger than what I want to carry around.  Personally, I keep a few paperclips in my bag and just make myself a quick stand on the few occasions that I need one.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

the iZel LOOKS High-Tech - but the paperclip stand is simply brilliant!

The Capdase BiFold case includes a built-in stand for the Fuze - only for landscape position, but you can adjust it to different angles - but, ALAS!, it is not sturdy enough to USE the Fuze one-handed: you still must support the unit from the rear in order to use either the hardware keyboard or the stylus (only the big main menu buttons that come up upon opening the unit in landscape mode will respond to a finger-touch.

Suspicion would be that the paperclip stand would fall prey to the same problem: trying to use keyboard or touchscreen simply pushes the unit backwards (across any reasonably smooth surface).

If the "sophisticated slip-resistant elastomer" on the iZel extend to the "Feet" of the unit perhaps it would eliminate that problem - ??

Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
tnels!
Banned

"Personally, I keep a few paperclips in my bag and just make myself a quick stand on the few occasions that I need one."

Wow, do you throw the bent paper clips out when you are done? This doesn't sound very 'GREEN' to me! Are you not concerned about killing the Planet?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Chris Gohlke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnels! View Post
Wow, do you throw the bent paper clips out when you are done? This doesn't sound very 'GREEN' to me! Are you not concerned about killing the Planet?
Since there is nothing in your post to indicate you are kidding, I guess I'll take the bait and respond.

I very rarely have need for a stand, maybe a few times a year. So, a box of paperclips should last me a lifetime. Although I don't have hard numbers to prove it, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the environmental impact of a box of paperclips is much lower than of this product.

If you want a more permanent and cheaper and more compact than the above product, I'd suggest picking up a small plate stand for a buck or two. The one below separates into two pieces and is completely flat.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 AM
tnels!
Banned

Is that lead paint on the dish stand?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Chris Gohlke

Quote:
Is that lead paint on the dish stand?
yes, if that helps you

Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM
JSB
Neophyte
Default From the iZel Designer

Paper clips, folded paper, and cans of Diet Coke were just some of the methods I used to prop up my iPhone before I created the iZel. There are a lot of clever ideas out there; I love that about iPhone owners. The iZel solves the problem by adjusting to hold the iPhone in portrait or landscape mode, adjusting the viewing angle, and using a protective elastomer that provides slip resistance to the device and the surface that the iZel is sitting on. Maybe most importantly, the iZel works with a variety of other device shapes too, including ones with curved edges and thicker dimensions. This way the iZel supports a lot of devices including the BlackBerry, Nintendo DS, and products that are yet to hit the market. We�ve had a few customers comment that it looks bigger in the pictures, but when they get theirs they feel it is compact. I slip mine in the pocket on the back of my Bose headset case. Thanks for the discussion!

Last edited by JSB; 04-05-2009 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Added photo of iPhone and BlackBerry in the iZel

Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
tnels!
Banned

Hey JSB, it looks like you made a great product to me. I don't know what it costs but I for one want one. I assert that Chris's 'paper clip' solution is not unlike saying, "Well, I have rusty bicycle, why does anyone need Mercedes Benz? The fact that he took my comment about being Green so seriously makes me suspect of his common sense. I believe his snarky paper click comments to be unjustified and unfair to your product. But then some people just have a mean streak in them and lack the ability to see beauty and art in anything.

I for one think your invention is fabulous. The angle adjustment is something that I struggle with all the time. Plus the slip resistance is brilliant. This is under rated unless one uses a stand regularly. This is important as one still needs to tap the screen with the stylus when using a stand. Slip resistance can help keep me from pushing/tapping my device across the table.

I bet Chris has never invented or created anything in his probably somewhat short life. We should pray for him as he is probably a somewhat unhappy person.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Chris Gohlke

Quote:
I bet Chris has never invented or created anything in his probably somewhat short life. We should pray for him as he is probably a somewhat unhappy person.
Wow! I'd have been happy to engage in an intelligent debate on the merits of a product versus my method, but that last line pretty much says it all. I'm sorry if you feel you have to personally insult someone who differs in opinion with you, but I'm not going to engage in that kind of a discussion.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Your remarks are superfluous, and in my opinion, downright rude. It is one thing to state that you do like a persons method of doing things and it is a completely different thing to personally attack that person and continue to flame them just because your opinion differs.

We try to run a board where everyone is respectful towards each other and ask our users to refrain from such behaviors as there is never a time or a place for it. For future reference please keep all personal attacks on other board members and editors to yourself. Thank you.