Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Announces Developments In the Marketplace, Windows Live, and Windows Mobile 6.5

Microsoft is at CTIA this week to make a slew of announcements related to the Marketplace, Windows Live, and Windows Mobile 6.5. Expect all the details during Robbie Bach's keynote; however, if you simply can't wait, jump the break and we'll feed you some preliminary information as well as a few screenshots.

Marketplace Support

More than twenty-five ISVs will announce support for the Marketplace. They include 3deep by LiteScape, Accuweather, AP Mobile, CNBC, Developer One, EA Mobile, Facebook, Gameloft, Glu Mobile, Handmark, Ilium Software, Jeyo Inc., Kinoma, Magmic, Melodis Corp., MySpace, Namco Networks, Pandora, PhatWare Corp., Resco, SBSH Mobile, ShoZu, Inc., Sling Media, Spb Software, Web Information Solutions, and Zagat Survey.

As you can tell, there are some popular applications from some prominent developers in that list. Facebook is one of them. The application, which will be made available as a free download later this month, will allow you to capture and upload video from your phone to your wall.

Marketplace Policies

Microsoft has taken in a considerable amount of feedback, and amended its Marketplace policies so that developers will be free to submit application updates throughout the application's lifecycle at no extra cost. Customers will be able to purchase applications with a credit card, or have the costs appear directly on their phone bill. Additionally, customers will be able to return an application within 24 hours after the purchase for a full refund.

Windows Live for Windows Mobile

On the Windows Live front, the free and popular Windows Live for Windows Mobile application will be made available to a wider audience (twenty-five countries, to be exact). In addition, a new beta version of Windows Live Hotmail will be made available at m.mail.live.com, and feature full HTML support, an updated user interface, and a new search feature.

Windows Mobile 6.5 Personalization

Remember the Theme Generator Power Toy from the Pocket PC 2002 era? Well, Microsoft is bringing it back. A new and improved Theme Generator will be made available later this year, and support custom pictures as background images, and custom colours for Windows Mobile's navigation bar, scroll bar, and highlighted text.

Microsoft will also team up with two prominent design houses, Design Museum London and Council of Fashion Designers of America, to deliver a set of designer themes exclusive to Windows phones. (Hopefully, they're different to what's in the screenshots above and below, which we can only best describe as a digital flannel shirt.)

Windows Mobile 6.5 Upgrades

Microsoft has clarified the policy surrounding Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrades. Earlier in the year, we were treated to some upcoming Windows Mobile 6.1 devices, such as the Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2, which were promised Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrades at a later stage. It is worth noting that said upgrades are by no means constrained to upcoming Windows Mobile 6.1 devices. There may be instances where a partner could release an upgrade for an existing Windows Mobile 6.1 device, as long as the hardware meets the minimum requirements of a 400 MHz processor and 128 MB RAM. However, as of this moment, no such devices have been announced, and for better or worse, upgrade paths will be determined entirely by the partners involved, not Microsoft.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Something is unclear here: we all know that MS abdicated to the hardware manifacturers the handling of the OS updates; I coudl be wrong but if MS had opted for a smarter policy the OS would enjoy a much higher market-share nowadays.

What concerns me is the part related to the DIamond 2 and the upgrade to WM 6.5; is this a confirmed fact or not?

Just to be safe I am considering to cancel the order until HTC confirm the availability of the upgrade... and in a reasonable timeframe too.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

Something is unclear here: we all know that MS abdicated to the hardware manifacturers the handling of the OS updates; I coudl be wrong but if MS had opted for a smarter policy the OS would enjoy a much higher market-share nowadays.

That thought makes a lot of sense.
My carrier may not mind if I am unhappy that my Fuze won't be upgraded to 6.5 - after all, if there is new OS that provides more functionality maybe I'll be tempted to "upgrade" my phone.

But each time someone changes devices is another time they have the choice to move to a different OS - which DOES hurt MS (in this example).

Of course, IF a particular carrier were known for their willingness to provide OS upgrades, PERHAPS the process of changing devices could also become an opportunity to change carriers as well.

(No comments from those who carry around UNLOCKED devices & presumably are "Free to Choose!" )

Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkistler View Post

But each time someone changes devices is another time they have the choice to move to a different OS - which DOES hurt MS (in this example).
That sums up the absurdity of the MSFT model better than it may first appear. See, the problem is that the carrier's and OS developer's interests are NOT ALIGNED like they are with Apple. The carrier likes to sell you a new phone and extend your contract for 2 years; MSFT on the other hand, would like you to stay put with their platform - but can't force the carrier to provide the update - and why would a carrier choose to do that over locking you in for another 2 years with a new device with any OS?

The carriers complain about the "ecosystem" being too large and complicated (4 platforms for smartphones) and yet their very own business model perpetuates it! The system is geared for customers to switch among devices and carriers.

I think the answer is going to eventually come when the government restricts the hardware & network tie-ins. Then consumer choice and preference will drive adoption, not coercive carrier contracts, etc. At that point MSFT can work with hardware providers to deliver a sustainable and competitive OS.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

This is all very confusing. AppleThoughts is marking this information as APRIL FOOLS.

In the past we knew that all the articles were jokes. Or they were so outrageous that it was obvious.

Now we've got a mix and really grey area to work with.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
This issue is tremendously complex, and has been discussed elsewhere, but the bottom line is that, yes, it completely sucks for the end user.

Quote:
What concerns me is the part related to the DIamond 2 and the upgrade to WM 6.5; is this a confirmed fact or not?
HTC has made no public commitments one way or another on 6.5 on the new phones they've announced. When they do, we'll definitely tell you about it.

Quote:
Just to be safe I am considering to cancel the order until HTC confirm the availability of the upgrade... and in a reasonable timeframe too.
I don't blame you. It's a significant investment to make, and without the assurance that it will run the new OS, you don't want to run the risk of wasting your money. Companies like HTC and Microsoft seem to think that everyone is happy to drop $500 year after year on a new smartphone...

Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
This is all very confusing. AppleThoughts is marking this information as APRIL FOOLS.
That post was, honestly, not really a good April Fools post because it took a real event and simply was sarcastic about it - and that's the "joke". I hesitated tagging it as an April Fools post, because it was true, but ultimately the INTENT of the author was to have it be a mocking post, so I tagged it as such.

I apologize for the confusion - this year wasn't a very good showing for April Fools at Thoughts Media. It's REALLY unfortunate that CTIA had to start on the 1st of April.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

A few more points of clarification from a Microsoft source:

The Theme maker is going to be for 6.5 only, and only Professional.

The Facebook app is going to be for 6.1 and newer phones, both Standard and Professional.