Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Which is The Ultimate Windows Mobile Business Phone?

http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews...one/default.asp

"There is little question that Windows Mobile has been primarily geared for the enterprise market. While many - including me - have faulted Microsoft for forgetting the consumer market (or seeming so at time), few if any can question their ability to take the Windows Mobile platform and develop it into a world class mobile operating system for enterprise users. The platform simply does everything: Email, Word editing, Excel editing, PowerPoint viewing, OneNote synchronization, some have printing and PDF applications included (mostly HTC devices)... the list goes on. Which which phone is really the best when it comes to business needs?"

The "which is best" is a always a personal question - my needs in a business phone might not match up to your needs - but Clinton Fitch does his best to compare four phones on the market from the perspective of a frequent business traveller. He looks at the HTC S740 Windows Standard Phone, HTC Touch Pro Windows Professional Phone, HTC Advantage X7510 Windows Professional Phone, and the MWg Zinc II Windows Professional Phone. Check out his article and tell me if you agree with his assessment of these devices - for me, having a small and light email triage tool is the most important thing, so the Touch Pro and the Advantage wouldn't even be on my list to start (I'm using a Blackjack II right now). For some, data entry and document managemnt are more critical, so bigger phones with a better keyboard carry the day. What device do you carry, and why?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

HTC Fuze (Touch Pro) here. In my opinion, it's the best WinMo phone on the market right now. It's got the perfect blend of useability and functionality of any Pocket PC I've ever used. This is my ninth WinMo device and by far it's the best. The VGA screen and keyboard are, by themselves, enough to make me want this phone. Throw in TouchFlo, the 3rd-party apps and then XDA-developers and I've got a machine that comes very close to actually being a PC in my pocket (and not my purse like the Advantage would require).

Now I'm just waiting for the S743 to be picked up by AT&T so the wife's phone will match mine.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
alese
Philosopher

In my case the touch screen is a must, so the smartphone versions are not an option. I currenty have Diamond as my main phone, and while I love the size and battery life with extended battery I do miss the keyboard and maybe a hardware button or two. I'm thinking about the new Touch pro 2 (when it's released of course) but I'm not sure if I'll like the tickness of the device after beeing spoiled by Diamond.

I also have and use the Advantage, but not as a phone. Advantage is my MID, book reader and occasional multimedia device (with rather underwhelming video playing capabilities). I just wish it would have even better resolution and especially more powerfull HW. With fast CPU and graphics it would be not only an excelent multimedia device but also rather usable PC replacement.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 PM
drm
Neophyte
Default SE Xperia

I have found the Sony Ericsson Xperia x1 to be a great business phone. I get the choice between keyboard and stylus input, and have not had to load any business related programs. it works great in the entripise realm and I can easily us the company contacts list in addition to the contacts on the phone itself. I looked at the Fuze, but liked the bigger screen of the X1 because of the stylus use.

I only use the standard and radio panels.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Oleander
Ponderer

I use the Advantage and carry it with me allways instead of hauling a laptop.
I really think it is the ultimate business "phone".

Im using it with a flat-rate data plan sim card that would be to expensive to use for talking, so I really cant use it as a phone. For that I carry the dual-sim Glofiish DX900, wich holds my work as well as private sim card.

I couldnt live without the Advantage, and really, really hope that HTC will produce the Toth..

Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

AT&T Fuze, some 4 months in, and - in most ways - still find it a wonderful PPC and a reasonable compromise for a PPC / Mobile Phone combo device.

By itself, or with the Innocase snapped on, it is pleasingly slim. With the Capdase leather bi-fold wrapped around the Innocase (top shell only) it is rather chunky - although not at all UNpleasant to hold, either for PDA usage or phone calls. (MUCH prefer using bluetooth headset to holding Fuze up to ear!)

For personal comfort, the WIDTH of a device is more important than any Reasonable Depth, thus the Fuze "fits" better than a wide-body PPC/Phone combo. But the Compromise, of course, is that the Screen is therefore smaller.

For READING, the Fuze screen is Wonderful - even with my Progressive Lenses - but for on-screen data entry there is no substitute for vast quantities of real estate. Am able to use FITALY on the Fuze, but with lower accuracy than on old Axim, and have had to make some concessions with the half-cells.

Could understand arguments for different devices based upon particular usage patterns, but the Fuze is a solid contender and hope to use it for a long time.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
david-ruffin
Neophyte

when the HTC Touch Pro 2 comes out, that would be the best business phone. nice QWERTY keyboard, VGA screen, and conference call features.

the Touch Pro was my choice for my work-related activities but got a Diamond (the latter is more affordable for me at the moment). writing emails or instant messaging with clients would've been easier with the Pro but I think I can manage using letter recognizer.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Peseta
Pupil

I must say, my criticism of the comparison of Clinton Fitch and of the comments here, is that they all only concern the "PDA"-capabilities.
However, in normal life many use a phone mostly for calling whether for business or personal.

Of course in formfactor, the the S740 wins handsdown as a phone.
I must say, my personal experience with the S740 and the Touch Pro confirms this (not surprising). Not having to use the touchscreen for dialing is a relieve.

Combined with its capabilities (qwerty keyboard, CPU, RAM, connectivity) it's the best compromise at the moment for business-use. In my experience, most emails that I must react to immediately are small and only text. Those are easily read on the small screen and the included qwerty keyboard is perfect for writing.

Of course I prefer a larger (touch)screen for reading/writing emails, surfing, watching foto's, etc., but that's simply impossible in such a compact device.
When I'm wearing a suit (I mostly do at work), I also carry my faithfull iPAQ hx4700 (really has everything except phone capability) because of its still tremendous 4" VGA-screen (I found the 2.8" of the Touch pro still too small). I still think it's the perfect size to check my calendar (Pocket Informant) and it actually is my daily navigation device (Navigon) in my car.

But if I don't wear a jacket, I can do everything easily with this fully packed compact (real) phone: S740.