Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default How Dell Adamo Designers Hid The Labels

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...10197590-1.html

"The Adamo is clean. Unlike almost every other Windows laptop you can buy, it has no "Designed for Windows" or "Intel Inside" stickers glued to the palm rest. Turn it over, and instead of a jigsaw puzzle of FCC approval stickers, serial number tags, and Microsoft certifications, there's a metal builder's plate with Dell, Intel, and Microsoft logos subtly printed on it. There's even a special magnetic cover hiding a required licensing sticker."

In pretty much every laptop review/video I do, I complain about the labels. To me, they ruin the design aesthetic of the laptop. They add zero value to the user - it's not like they're going to forget they're running Windows Vista - and are usually difficult to remove. The laptop OEMs need to push back - hard - on Microsoft and Intel the way Dell has done with the Adamo. I don't mind so much if the labels are on the bottom of the laptop, but I can see why Dell wanted to keep the bottom of the Adamo clean. I'd like to see more of this from OEMs, all the way down the line.