Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Silverlight Should Be In Windows Mobile 6.5

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unc...dows-mobile-6-5

"While Microsoft first time previewed Silverlight for Windows Mobile back in May 2007, it's neither yet available nor has Microsoft unveiled any details when it will become available. It was only confirmed by Microsoft that Silverlight for Mobile will be initially launched for Windows Mobile and S60 smartphones."

Arne Hess reports, via a twitter feed source, that Silverlight should be included in Windows Mobile 6.5. I know this will make developers who got on the Silverlight bandwagon especially happy, as they've been eager to get their Silverlight apps onto the mobile platform. Now lets just hope that the unconfirmed twitter rumors are true, and our next major version should ship with Silverlight.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
efjay
Theorist

That report came out a few days before Mix09 where it was stated it will come in WM7.

http://www.wmexperts.com/silverlight...dows-mobile-65

Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Rumors aside, the title of my post is accurate: Silverlight should be in Windows Mobile 6.5. Whether or not it appears there is a different story.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Uhhhh...

How about Flash 10 I hope someone at Adobe is reading this.

I'm still avoiding SilverLight. Flash works great for me. So far I've found about 2 sites that use SilverLight and one was Microsoft.

Please, someone help me out here. Why should I want SilverLight? To me, it's just another install to run any time I'm setting up a machine.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
Please, someone help me out here. Why should I want SilverLight? To me, it's just another install to run any time I'm setting up a machine.
I didn't watch much of it this year, but the NCAA Basketball streaming was Silverlight this year and the quality was fanstastic. Also, Netflix streaming is Silverlight, and NBC was streaming Olympic coverage from Beijing using Silverlight last year.

Competition is always good. If it takes Silverlight to force Adobe to improve Flash, that's a good reason for you to want it, I'd think.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
I'm still avoiding SilverLight. Flash works great for me. So far I've found about 2 sites that use SilverLight and one was Microsoft.
I agree that Silverlight sites are far and few in-between, but if Microsoft puts Silverlight in every Windows Mobile phone out there from 6.5 and beyond, and developers start to create apps for it, well, why should you care?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Good points!

I also did a little reading and saw that SilverLight allows apps to run outside of a browser and offline. This would be a plus for WinMo since there isn't a good browser standard on Windows Mobile phones.

I guess I'd vote for those resources at Microsoft to go towards a good browser first but it sounds like SilverLight is being used more than I thought. As you said Jason, if they do start developing WinMo apps that use SilverLight, I'll want it!

Maybe someone can write a good browser in SilverLight for WinMo

Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

Honestly, as an end user, there's really not much difference between Flex/Flash and Silverlight, so I can understand your hesitancy.

From a developer's point of view, I think Silverlight offers some very compelling features. It uses .NET, which means that's one less thing you have to learn and that much more knowledge that you can leverage. This also means any .NET language can be used: C#, F#, Visual Basic, Visual C++, or even IronPython or IronRuby. It is reported to be a superior solution for video streaming, which is why the few big applications the public has seen it in have focused on that.

Check out Silverlight's own Showcase for some views of what is possible: Showcase : The Official Microsoft Silverlight Site

As far as a Mobile version... All I have to say is, no matter when it comes out, it's been long overdue.

Last edited by jdmichal; 03-25-2009 at 03:11 PM..