Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Tweaks Honeycomb UI

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...oneycomb-ui.ars

"While the layout remains the same and the icons are in the exact same place, they have been enlarged and the actual honeycomb outline (hexagons around each icon) is gone. Furthermore, scrolling up or down no longer means going all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom: the second the finger leaves the screen, scrolling will stop."

You're either going to love or hate the changes made to Windows Mobile 6.5's honeycomb UI. If you've forgotten what the previous version looked like, take a gander at our screenshot thread posted back in February. Now, looking at the image above, you'll notice that the latest version no longer sports hexagonal outlines, yet the hexagonal layout remains. It's a double-edged sword, because while visual clutter has been reduced, it becomes less apparent to uninformed users that these zigzagging rows actually represent a hexagonal layout, in addition to why it was adopted, prompting them to question whether such ocular trauma is really necessary.

That aside, Microsoft has made noticeable usability and performance tweaks to Windows Mobile 6.5 on the whole. It's definitely looking smoother and shinier than ever before.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

There is a 65 minute video that shows this (and more) at http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/20/v...ess-honeycomb/ - it requires Silverlight.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

I watched most of the video (focusing on the demos) and it really looks like they have focused on stability/speed. Besides the obvious gaffs they had with regard to the internet connection, it looked very good.

I know there are flaws and that the operating system is based on old technology, but if they can speed it up, make it more stable, and make it a little prettier, I'll be content until WM7 comes along (it looks like they are well on their way to acheiving these goals).

I've looked/tried all of the competition and I really like Windows Mobile. Now if we can only get some great hardware I'd be all set!

On a side note, did anyone see that response by Balmer regarding capacitive touch screens? He basically said that capacitive touch screens are too expensivem, and that it why WM is still using resistive. What a cop out!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

I really wish they would have kept the hex outlines. Without them, my eyes keep wanting to go directly across in a grid, but then having the one offset by half a space throws me off.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
TTown
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmichal View Post
I really wish they would have kept the hex outlines. Without them, my eyes keep wanting to go directly across in a grid, but then having the one offset by half a space throws me off.
I agree. The lines look better. People were not arguing about the lines, they were arguing about the layout. So they remove the lines and keep the layout? Oh well. I haven't watched the video yet, but I like the fact that stability and speed are important to them.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Any update on when 6.5 will be released?

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 AM
superrrguy
Ponderer

What a ridiculously bad idea.

Are they doing anything with the default windows mobile dialer? The buttons are too tiny. I'd take anything as an improvement over what they have currently. Even the honeycombs.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
Any update on when 6.5 will be released?
All signs point to the second half of this year.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
jdmichal
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey View Post
All signs point to the second half of this year.
I don't know... The tea leaves were kind of ambiguous.

Last edited by jdmichal; 03-25-2009 at 03:13 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
radu.motisan
Neophyte

I don't like it.

And what's with this black UI fashion? I still have a color display!

just my thoughts..