Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Unboxing the Dell Inspiron Mini 10

Today the courier delivered a box I was looking forward to opening: this is an unboxing and first impressions video of the Dell Inspiron Mini 10, a new netbook model that Dell has just released. As configured from Dell Canada, it cost me $559 CAD. The same configuration on Dell.com as of March 19th costs $504 USD. This Mini 10 is cherry red in colour, uses the Intel Atom Z530 (1.6 Ghz) CPU, has 1 GB of DDR2 RAM, uses Windows XP SP3, has a 10.1 inch 16:9 aspect ratio screen (1024 x 576 resolution), a 160 GB 5400 RPM 2.5 inch hard drive, a 1.3 megapixel Webcam, a 802.11g WiFi card, and is powered by a 3-cell 24 WHr battery.

I mention in the review that one of the issues right off the bat with the Dell Mini 10 is the cost: I can order an Acer Aspire One in ruby red, today, for $459.99 CAD, a full $100 less expensive than the Dell Mini 10. The Acer Aspire one comes with 160 GB of storage, 1 GB of RAM, and uses a slightly older CPU - the Intel Atom N270 - but it's the same clock speed as the newer Z530 that the Dell uses. Surprisingly, the Acer also comes with a 6-cell battery. The build quality on the Dell Mini 10 is excellent, but $100 better? That's the question. I'll let you know once I get a chance to use it more - watch for my full video review a couple of weeks from now!

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.