Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default MobileRemote Turns Your Windows Mobile Into A BT Mouse, Keyboard

http://www.mobilesrc.com/MobileRemote.aspx

"MobileRemote transforms your phone into a wireless Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and media controller. Connect to any bluetooth enabled PC and wirelessly type, move the mouse, and control the media from your phone. MobileRemote behaves exactly like a physical Bluetooth keyboard, with the convenience and portability of your phone."

OK, this seems like a pretty cool application in theory, however I don't know how useful it really would be. I can see some nice applications (such as advancing powerpoint slides, or controlling a computer without normal input devices - such as a public information kiosk), however for most of us I believe this is a W?BIC type of thing. But if you have a need or desire to use your Windows Mobile device as a mouse or keyboard for a real computer, MobileRemote is available for $8.99.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
rckymtnrfc
Neophyte

I am actually pretty excited about this program and I'm itching to try it out. I am just finishing the build of my Media Center PC and this should allow me to control the PC without the need for a wireless mouse and keyboard or a Media Center Remote.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Rob Alexander
Sage

As a college professor who does lots of Powerpoints, I thought it would be great to use for that so I downloaded and tried out the demo. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well at all for that purpose. Yes, it will advanced a slide if you put it in mouse mode and press the left mouse button, but that's all it will do. Anyone who uses PP a lot knows that you need to be able to go backward and forward at a minimum and this only does that in cumbersome ways that would not be practical in real life. The idea is great, though, so I wrote the developer suggesting a dedicated Powerpoint mode. I think there would be a market for that. The iPhone has an app that does that and I'd like to see one for WM as well.

Update: The developer replied to my email a few hours later and said he is working on both a Powerpoint mode and a feature that would let you create a custom layout. Sounds good! (I love the responsiveness of small developers.)

Last edited by Rob Alexander; 03-19-2009 at 04:45 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
spacehippie2k
Pupil

This latest version also supports Playstation 3s, which do not come with a physical keyboard. It could also be useful for Media Center PCs, if you don't want to have to keep a big standard mouse and keyboard stashed under your couch.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM
hotdram
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehippie2k View Post
This latest version also supports Playstation 3s, which do not come with a physical keyboard. It could also be useful for Media Center PCs, if you don't want to have to keep a big standard mouse and keyboard stashed under your couch.
That is the first thing I thought of when reading the headline: Wonder if it will work with my PS3. That is cool. Might have to give it a whirl.

~Rob

Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

I'm glad to see this is proving to be a useful application after all! I hadn't thought of the PS3 connection - but as a somewhat casual console gamer, I can imagine it would be highly appreciated.

Jon.